Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* awoods joins00:11
* ksclarke leaves00:43
* jrgriffiniii joins00:52
* jrgriffiniii leaves00:59
* jrgriffiniii joins02:47
* jrgriffiniii leaves02:50
* jrgriffiniii joins04:37
* jrgriffiniii leaves04:39
* jrgriffiniii joins06:26
* jrgriffiniii leaves06:28
* awead joins06:46
* ajs6f joins07:11
* mhwood joins08:04
* mhwood leaves08:11
* jrgriffiniii joins08:15
* mhwood joins
* jrgriffiniii leaves08:17
* whikloj joins08:50
* ksclarke joins08:55
* awead leaves09:01
* acoburn joins09:07
* jrgriffiniii joins09:12
* jrgriffiniii leaves09:14
* github-ff joins09:15
[fcrepo4] acoburn opened pull request #832: removed site pages for alpha and beta releases, updated index.html (gh-pages...fcrepo-1624) http://git.io/vqQoD
* github-ff leaves
* mhwood leaves
* github-ff joins09:20
[fcrepo4] awoods pushed 2 new commits to gh-pages: http://git.io/vqQiY
fcrepo4/gh-pages c276536 Aaron Coburn: removed site pages for alpha and beta releases, updated index.html
fcrepo4/gh-pages c79b9f6 Andrew Woods: Merge pull request #832 from acoburn/fcrepo-1624...
* github-ff leaves
* awead joins09:32
* dwilcox joins09:35
* awead leaves09:36
* awead joins09:38
<awoods>All: Here is a draft of the move towards three github organizations: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/F4+GitHub+Organizations10:05
acoburn/ajs6f/escowles/whikloj: we can begin to make tickets and start shuffling projects once we have some agreement on the approach ^^10:11
<ajs6f>awoods: I disagree.10:12
<awoods>ajs6f: I would expect nothing less
<ajs6f>awoods: You should expect nothing more. Seriously. can we add "break out fcrepo-transform and put it in -exts" to this plan?10:13
<awoods>ajs6f: absolutely. Please update the plan.10:14
<ajs6f>awoods: What is "ontology-exts"? I would expect the ontologies for, say, indexing to live by themselves. Do you have them together in some kind of wacky 'Threes Company" apartment?
* dwilcox leaves10:15
<awoods>ajs6f: As you know, there are ontologies that are currently in the fcrepo4/ontologies that need to get split out. I am fine with lumping them into fcrepo4-exts/ontologies-exts or having individual homes for them.10:16
<ajs6f>awoods: Okay, let's leave them together supervised by Mr. Furley for now. We can break them apart later as time permits.
<awoods>ajs6f: +1
ajs6f: Having looked into Memento, it seems like it should be completely doable to layer it over F4 versioning... however, it is designed only for retrieving versions, not creating them.10:21
<acoburn>awoods: I think fcrepo4-client should remain in labs, I'm not sure that it's ready for -exts10:22
<ajs6f>awoods: I agree. I think we start there, and using our newfound powers of actually talking to other communities instead of inventing everything ourselves, help do the work in the larger context to bring Memento to the read-write Web.
awoods: We may have to roll our own _extension_ to Memento to start that conversation.
awoods: But the conversation goes on between us, other people interested specifically in Memento, and LDP folks interested in patterns of extension for LDP.10:23
acoburn: Does the Camel gear us the client?
<acoburn>ajs6f: no
<awoods>acoburn: I would have thought so (re: fcrepo4-client), but the recent discussions when considering tickets for jrgriffiniii surfaced that possible fact that fcrepo4-client needs a complete re-write.
<acoburn>ajs6f: it uses its own client10:24
<ajs6f>Does anyone use the client?
<acoburn>awoods: I would agree that fcrepo4-client should be rewritten
<ajs6f>acoburn/awoods: If it can't be rewritten as extensions to some off-the-shelf LDP client, we are doing something wrong.
<acoburn>ajs6f: I agree10:25
<awoods>ajs6f: +1
acoburn: so instead of moving fcrepo4-client to labs, it will likely be a gut and stuff process.
<acoburn>awoods: yes10:26
awoods: or a completely new project: fcrepo-client
<ajs6f>awoods/acoburn: But ultimately, is a JVM client part of the reference impl?
<awoods>ajs6f: no, hence fcrepo4-exts
<ajs6f>awoods: +110:27
<awoods>acoburn: there is already a Fedora3 project named fcrepo-client
acoburn: for similar reasons, that is why we tend to use the fcrepo4-* prefix
<ajs6f>awoods: Is there a group name conflict there?
<awoods>ajs6f: I don't think so
<ajs6f>awods: Then I say having a similar name is a _good_ thing. Let the virile young bull overshadow the knackered old ox.10:28
<acoburn>awoods/ajs6f: ideally, fcrepo-camel would use that client, especially if it is simply an extension of an existing LDP client10:32
<awoods>acoburn: agreed. That was always the/your plan... except fcrepo4-client did not meet the needs of your model.10:33
<ajs6f>acoburn: We're stacking up hypotheticals on top of ideals sandwiched between principles that enclose work for which there are no immediate volunteers.
<awoods>ajs6f/acoburn: if we can get internal agreement on the proposed project shuffling and "Plan", I can float it by the community and start making tickets and taking action.10:35
<ajs6f>awoods: I won't stop you. I'll just look warily on, sipping tea and grimacing. But secretly, I agree.10:36
<awoods>good morning, whikloj10:37
<whikloj>always here, awoods. Just biding my time.
* dwilcox joins
<awoods>whikloj: waiting to strike
<whikloj>awoods: or head for the hills, whatever the case may be10:38
* dwilcox leaves10:40
<awoods>ajs6f: are you done reviewing this one: https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/pull/82910:46
<ajs6f>awoods: yes, for some reason my comment to that effect is not shown there.10:47
awoods: I10:48
'm going on to https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-1411
<awoods>ajs6f: nice
* dwilcox joins
<ajs6f>awoods: Wait 'til you see the result to opine.10:49
* dwilcox leaves12:04
* github-ff joins12:30
[fcrepo-camel] acoburn opened pull request #78: update mailing list address; update gh-pages theme (master...fcrepo-1625) http://git.io/vq5TO
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins12:33
[fcrepo-camel] awoods pushed 2 new commits to master: http://git.io/vq5kX
fcrepo-camel/master 8d653d7 Aaron Coburn: update mailing list address; update gh-pages theme
fcrepo-camel/master f4d4f29 Andrew Woods: Merge pull request #78 from acoburn/fcrepo-1625...
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins12:36
fcrepo4/fcrepo-camel#191 (master - f4d4f29 : Andrew Woods): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo-camel/compare/6ee5c2663d9a...f4d4f29901c1
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo-camel/builds/70411957
* travis-ci leaves
* github-ff joins12:38
[fcrepo4] acoburn opened pull request #833: update mailing list address (master...fcrepo-1626) http://git.io/vq5t7
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins12:42
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] acoburn opened pull request #39: update mailing list address (master...fcrepo-1626) http://git.io/vq5mc
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins12:49
[fcrepo4] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/vq53R
fcrepo4/master 15373cb jrgriffiniii: Prevent POSTing to a pairtree resource...
* github-ff leaves
<ksclarke>awoods: who would I talk to about getting a duraspace confluence account for a ucla person who is doing some pcdm modeling of twitter data and would like to post for others to comment, etc.?12:52
<awoods>ksclarke: DuraSpace confluence is self-register
<ksclarke>oh okay
<acoburn>awoods: is there interest in making this location return something other than a 404: http://fcrepo4.github.io/12:53
<awoods>ksclarke: https://wiki.duraspace.org/signup.action
acoburn: like redirecting to docs.fcrepo.org?
<acoburn>awoods: yes, for example12:54
<awoods>acoburn: do people expect to find something at <project>.github.io?
* github-ff joins12:55
[fcrepo4] awoods closed pull request #829: FCREPO-1505 (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-1505) (master...fcrepo-1505) http://git.io/vqsrm
* github-ff leaves
<acoburn>awoods: possibly not.12:56
<awoods>acoburn: you were, for some reason.12:57
<acoburn>awoods: though for everything that's not part of the fcrepo4 repo, the docs are available <organization>.github.io/<project>
awoods: it's not a big deal, just curious12:58
<awoods>acoburn: those other projects do not have a DNS record
acoburn: at least not a fcrepo DNS record
<acoburn>awoods: it seems silly to have a full DNS record for every project12:59
<awoods>acoburn: I have not looked into whether it is possible to do both... docs.fcrepo.org and fcrepo4.github.io... but if you would like to investigate, you have my support.
<acoburn>awoods: if you want a page appear at fcrepo4.github.io/, we'd need to add another repository in fcrepo4/ called fcrepo4.github.io13:00
awoods: but it seems the direction we're going is to restrict the content of the fcrepo4/ github organization as much as possible13:01
awoods: so I'm fine with leaving it as it is
<awoods>acoburn: that is true.
* travis-ci joins13:03
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#3813 (master - 15373cb : jrgriffiniii): The build was broken.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/2a4e650231b4...15373cbe5a0e
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/70414206
* travis-ci leaves
* escowles leaves13:06
<whikloj>awoods/ajs6f: re FCREPO-1614. The original exception is thrown in the HttpResourceConverter. So I need to discern why you are accessing the missing resource, because if it is a GET we give a 404, if a PUT/POST we give a 4xx. So either I let the javax.jcr.PathNotFound leak from the HttpResourceConverter or inject some context into it...or???13:24
* dwilcox joins13:25
<ajs6f>whikloj: What on Earth are you talking about? Can you inject some context into this conversation?
<whikloj>ajs6f: this https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-161413:26
<ajs6f>whikloj: What does GET have to do with this? This is entirely about POST/PUT, right?13:27
<awoods>whikloj: which line in HttpResourceConverter
<whikloj>ajs6f: https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-http-commons/src/main/java/org/fcrepo/http/commons/api/rdf/HttpResourceConverter.java#L131-L14113:28
ajs6f: that block determines what response you get when you try to convert a non-existant resource.
ajs6f: it is also what gets run when you try to apply RDF with a non-existant (but in domain) subject
<ajs6f>whikloj: Your check (and throw of a new exception) should be _before_ that code gets called.13:29
whikloj: Use inDomain() at that point.
whikloj: Not convert().
whikloj: IOW, check for inDomainess, then then for existsence (and throw an exception if need be), and only _then_ do convert()13:30
<whikloj>ajs6f: these subjects pass inDomain() they just don't exist, because they are RDF for a POST.
<ajs6f>whikloj: ^^^
<whikloj>ajs6f: how do you check for existence?
<ajs6f>whikloj: What are you starting with? An URI?13:31
<whikloj>ajs6f: yes
<ajs6f>whikloj: asString()
whikloj: That will give you a JCR path to check for existence.
<whikloj>ajs6f: here is where I get into the convert. https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-kernel-impl/src/main/java/org/fcrepo/kernel/impl/utils/iterators/PersistingRdfStreamConsumer.java#L13613:32
ajs6f: I have a Resource
<ajs6f>whikloj: Right, I'm saying you should start _before_ that.
whikloj: Before you call convert(), use inDomain and asString to check whether you should even bother calling convert(), or whether instead you should throw some kind of exception13:33
whikloj: Does that make sense? Am I scaring you?13:34
<whikloj>ajs6f: ok I get the inDomain check, but once I have the path how do I check for existence?
<ajs6f>whikloj: HttpResourceConvertor::asString will give you a JCR path. Take that and use it with Session::nodeExists.13:36
<whikloj>ajs6f: alright thanks13:37
<ajs6f>whikloj: Rock it like Pat Benatar. I'm going to lunch, but I will check in with you later.
* ajs6f leaves13:39
<awoods>acoburn: relating to JIRA tickets, in order for them to show up on the scrum board (which is what I use to track which tickets need review) please ensure two things: the "Fix Version" is 4.2.1, and the "Sprint" is Sprint 2015 - 813:54
<acoburn>awoods: thanks for the reminder!13:55
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] awoods pushed 2 new commits to master: http://git.io/vq5PB
fcrepo-camel-toolbox/master 8d8ba74 Aaron Coburn: update mailing list address
fcrepo-camel-toolbox/master c69b8dd Andrew Woods: Merge pull request #39 from acoburn/fcrepo-1626...
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins13:56
[fcrepo4] awoods closed pull request #833: update mailing list address (master...fcrepo-1626) http://git.io/vq5t7
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins14:06
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#113 (master - c69b8dd : Andrew Woods): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/45aebe5d2205...c69b8ddb1327
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/70423310
* travis-ci leaves
* travis-ci joins14:08
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#3814 (master - 3e88453 : Andrew Woods): The build was fixed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/15373cbe5a0e...3e8845351b39
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/70423385
* travis-ci leaves
* dwilcox leaves14:15
* acoburn leaves15:25
* acoburn joins16:07
* acoburn leaves
* acoburn joins
* escowles joins16:46
* ajs6f joins16:50
* whikloj leaves16:58
* acoburn leaves17:01
* ajs6f leaves17:02
* awead leaves17:09
* github-ff joins17:23
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] awoods opened pull request #40: Minor typo in README (master...patch-1) http://git.io/vqFU1
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins17:25
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] acoburn closed pull request #40: Minor typo in README (master...patch-1) http://git.io/vqFU1
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins17:28
[fcrepo4-swordserver] claussni pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/vqFkW
fcrepo4-swordserver/master 02ab03f Ralf Claussnitzer: Specify sword:maxUploadSize
* github-ff leaves
* acoburn joins17:29
<awoods>acoburn: ping
<awoods>acoburn: I am testing: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-1589
acoburn: and it looks great...
acoburn: using karaf, I am wondering how to change the value of: https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/pull/35/files#diff-ceef334ea9788c3fd9a68a6a3ba27f58R26917:31
<acoburn>awoods: in $KARAF_HOME/etc create a file called org.fcrepo.camel.fixity.cfg17:32
* travis-ci joins
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo4-swordserver#33 (master - 02ab03f : Ralf Claussnitzer): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo4-swordserver/compare/78d63ae184ee...02ab03f532f3
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo4-swordserver/builds/70451391
* travis-ci leaves
<acoburn>awoods: in that file, you can override any values set in the blueprint.xml17:33
awoods: e.g.: fixity.failure=file:/tmp/fedora/?filename=errors.log&fileExist=Append
<awoods>acoburn: perfect.17:34
* travis-ci joins17:35
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#115 (master - 001b176 : Aaron Coburn): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/c69b8ddb1327...001b17617574
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/70451040
* travis-ci leaves
<awoods>acoburn: Is that /etc/xxx.cfg trick somewhere in the fcrepo-camel-toolbox readme? Or expected as basic karaf know-how?17:36
acoburn: found it
acoburn: nevermind
acoburn: https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/tree/master/fcrepo-reindexing#configuration17:37
acoburn: thanks for the quick tip
<acoburn>awoods: on another note, I just extracted the last "modeshape gremlin" from my local branch of fcrepo-1535, meaning that once I clean things up we'll be free of "split packages"
<awoods>acoburn: nice work17:38
acoburn: it also looks like ksclarke has submitted his iCLA17:40
<acoburn>awoods: I saw that
<awoods>ksclarke++ indeed
<acoburn>awoods: so can we merge those PRs?17:41
<awoods>acoburn: hit it17:42
* github-ff joins17:43
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] acoburn closed pull request #37: Add stopWait configuration for jetty-maven-plugin (master...maven-jetty-fix) http://git.io/vquhN
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] acoburn closed pull request #38: Remove duplicate logback from jetty-maven-plugin's classpath (master...multiple-slf4j-fix) http://git.io/vqzsv
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins17:53
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#116 (master - d030280 : Aaron Coburn): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/001b17617574...d0302804e85d
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/70452940
* travis-ci leaves
* travis-ci joins17:55
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#117 (master - d47fd00 : Aaron Coburn): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/d0302804e85d...d47fd00bc13d
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/70452993
* travis-ci leaves
* github-ff joins17:56
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] awoods pushed 2 new commits to master: http://git.io/vqFZU
fcrepo-camel-toolbox/master 8788576 Aaron Coburn: implementation of a fixity checking service
fcrepo-camel-toolbox/master 2eee836 Aaron Coburn: updated documentation for fcrepo-fixity
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] awoods closed pull request #35: implementation of a fixity checking service (master...fcrepo-1589) http://git.io/vL2CP
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins18:01
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#118 (master - 2eee836 : Aaron Coburn): The build was broken.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/d47fd00bc13d...2eee83683747
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/70454417
* travis-ci leaves
* travis-ci joins18:17
fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#118 (master - 2eee836 : Aaron Coburn): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/d47fd00bc13d...2eee83683747
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/70454417
* travis-ci leaves
* ksclarke leaves18:38
* ksclarke joins19:38
* ksclarke leaves19:43
* github-ff joins19:54
[fcrepo4] acoburn opened pull request #834: Remove org.modeshape.jcr hacks (master...fcrepo-1535) http://git.io/vqFDd
* github-ff leaves
* acoburn leaves19:57
* ksclarke joins
* awoods_ joins20:20
* awoods leaves20:24
* ksclarke leaves20:47
* ksclarke joins21:05