Log of the #duraspace-ff channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin delivered "Rolling upgrades" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4556530305:56
Edwin Shin edited "BagitConnector should do fedora:owned" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4821528506:08
* github-ff joins06:21
[ff-jmeter-madness] nigelgbanks opened pull request #1: Dev (master...dev) http://git.io/VXgeKw
* github-ff leaves
* kaarefc leaves06:44
* kaarefc joins
* eddies leaves06:50
* fasseg leaves06:52
* fasseg joins06:53
* motron[ph] joins
* motron[ph] leaves
* kaarefc leaves07:17
* eddies joins07:19
* eddies leaves
* eddies joins
* kaarefc joins07:23
* kaarefc leaves07:30
* kaarefc joins07:33
* eddies leaves07:49
* github-ff joins08:07
[fcrepo4] fasseg created jersey-grizzly (+1 new commit): http://git.io/2cpdiQ
fcrepo4/jersey-grizzly ce65d71 fasseg: added integration test infrastrucutre and switched fcrepo-legacy-api to a jersey impl
* github-ff leaves
* eddies joins08:14
* eddies leaves
* eddies joins
* ppound joins08:21
* nbanks leaves08:26
* nbanks joins08:27
* nbanks leaves08:31
* nbanks joins
* anusha joins08:34
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #176: SUCCESS in 6 min 7 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/176/08:37
Project fcrepo-fixity build #167: SUCCESS in 5 min 36 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity/167/08:39
* VincentNG joins08:45
* jcoyne joins08:51
<fasseg>barmintor: are you there? Can you tell me why the URI segements get encoded here: https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-http-api/src/test/java/org/fcrepo/api/TestHelpers.java#L52? Since I would like to get rid of resteasy depenedencies...08:54
* jcoyne leaves08:55
<fasseg>oh no i see this is for conetxt injetcion in the tests...08:58
* anusha_ joins09:02
* anusha leaves
* anusha_ leaves09:20
* anusha joins
* ap2972 joins09:22
* ajs6f joins09:39
* fasseg leaves09:58
<eddies>anusha: are you joining us?10:02
* fasseg joins
* ajs6f leaves
* ajs6f joins10:04
<eddies>anusha: we're just waiting on you :P10:05
<cbeer>ok, i'm here for an hour or so10:12
* kaarefc leaves10:17
<barmintor>fasseg: We need a UriInfo impl for test support. I don't care which one it is, as long as we can test- the restEasy impl was just available on the classpath.
<fasseg>yeah i saw that, i just mocked out a UriInfo and a UriBuilder using the mockito framework..10:18
and it seems to work fine
* anusha_ joins10:23
* anusha leaves
<cbeer>for a quick policy-driven storage, what about using the ISPN CloudCacheLoader (into S3) and configure policies there?10:27
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Test Infinispan cross-site replication feature" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4824785110:29
<ajs6f>No comment.10:30
What Ben said.10:31
<barmintor>Fedora 4: "What Ben Said."10:32
<barmintor> "Could not clone node testDS - This operation requires that the node be versionable (that is, isNodeType("mix:versionable") == true)"10:37
<VincentNG>I saw that before. are there properties associated with that testDS? does it have "fedora:datastream" mixin?10:38
<barmintor>[fedora:datastream] > fedora:resource, nt:file mixin10:40
yes, it (now) has the fedora:datastream mixin
but it needs mix:versionable
<VincentNG>ya, if it has "fedora:datastream" mixin then it needs "mix:versionable"10:41
<barmintor>cbeer: did that sound reasonable?10:51
(assuming we can get connectors to work)
<cbeer>barmintor: i don't disagree. i would like us to spend time hacking around MODE/ISPN though10:52
because of what eddie just said.
<cbeer>i wonder if you should pursue connectors this week, and we can shift to binary stores for a day next week10:53
timebox the work, etc, etc
<barmintor>technically, I'm not on this sprint, so when I get the bagit thing working I need to work for Columbia for a couple of days10:54
but I think that approach would be good
<cbeer>maybe we're far enough along on connectors to make a reasonable comparison between the approaches
VincentNG: are https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48215375 and https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48200901 duplicates?10:56
<pivotal-bot>feature: Mixins should have some kind of object that takes care of their properties. (unstarted) / owner:
<cbeer>or near-duplicates?
<VincentNG>cbeer: near-duplicates. the concept is the same...to define required properties on nodetypes10:57
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Sprint 7: Policy Driven Storage (3 Apr - 16 Apr)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4568841110:58
Chris Beer edited "Sprint 7: Policy Driven Storage (3 Apr - 16 Apr)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/45688411
Chris Beer added "Policy-driven Infinispan-backed cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825133711:04
Chris Beer edited "Policy-driven BinaryStore-backed cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825133711:05
Chris Beer added comment: "I wonder if the BinaryFactory is a better layer to work on: https://github.com/ModeShape/modeshape/blob/maste..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825133711:07
<barmintor>cbeer: that find method is promising11:09
<cbeer>it sure sounds nice
<barmintor>since it suggests we made the key upstream
<cbeer>and we do.
but the binarykey factory is locked away from us11:10
<barmintor>I bet we can fix that
<cbeer>so we'd have to do some work in MODE
i think
<barmintor>worth noting that that method is handled, but BinaryKey has public constructor11:11
* jcoyne joins
<cbeer>yup. i think we're using it in the low-level cache entry stuff too11:12
<cbeer>i'd need to pull out an IDE to dive any deeper
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer estimated "Policy-driven BinaryStore-backed cache" as 8 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825133711:14
Chris Beer added "Policy-driven BinaryKey generator" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252257
<cbeer>ok, i need to drop too11:15
* fasseg leaves
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added comment: "This might get nasty.. i don't even want to think about implications of changing policies." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252257
Edwin Shin added "Copy node from federated filesystem to Infinispan cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825242311:17
Edwin Shin edited "Copy node from federated filesystem to Infinispan cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252423
Edwin Shin edited "Sprint 7: Policy Driven Storage (17 Apr - 30 Apr)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4568841111:18
* kaarefc joins
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin added "Copy node from one Infinispan cache to another" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825268711:21
Edwin Shin edited "Copy node from one Infinispan cache to another" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252687
<cbeer>eddies: i'm missing the conversation, but that ticket doesn't make sense to me
oh, named cache
then we need a prerequisite ticket of.. actually having multiple named caches
<pivotal-bot>A. "Forbulo" Soroka added "Half-assed story for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825347711:29
A. "Forbulo" Soroka edited "Half-assed story for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825347711:30
A. "Forbulo" Soroka edited "Half-assed story for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825347711:31
A. "Forbulo" Soroka edited "Three-quarter-assed story for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48253477
A. "Forbulo" Soroka added "Reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825389911:32
Fedo Radmin edited "Three-quarter-assed story for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825347711:37
Fedo Radmin edited "Reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48253899
Anusha Ranganathan edited "Reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825389911:38
Edwin Shin added "Configure a second named cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825474311:41
Edwin Shin edited "Configure a second named cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48254743
* kaarefc leaves11:43
<cbeer>back for 10m.
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin edited "Islandora reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825389911:44
Edwin Shin edited "Islandora reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48253899
<cbeer>eddies: those reporting tickets are basically fixity reporting, no?11:45
except we need to extend o.f.u.LLCE to expose federated resources
barmintor, ajs6f: ^11:46
i'm sans-mic.
<ajs6f>No, cbeer.
They're about reporting _where_ a resource has been persisted.
I think.
<cbeer>which is what the fixity resource does
<cbeer>but it also runs the checksums
<ajs6f>Then maybe we already did that ticket.
<barmintor>the CacheEntry knows about which cache it was in
<cbeer>but we could toggle that off
eddies: not just filecachestore. any binary store.11:47
any modeshape binary store
* nbanks leaves
<cbeer>but i don't know how federated resources show up
so maybe that's a new ticket?
yeah, a federateddocumentstore is not a binarystore11:48
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin edited "Islandora reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48253899
Chris Beer added "Expose resources in the federated document store as a LowLevelCacheEntry " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48255587
Chris Beer edited "Expose resources in the federated document store as a LowLevelCacheEntry " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825558711:49
<barmintor>cbeer: FederatedDocumentStore isn't even a *node* store
<cbeer>ajs6f: yes. the BinaryKey is an object already.11:51
<ajs6f>cbeer: sez you! Ben says no.11:52
sort of
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin added "Modify a storage policy" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825607311:55
Edwin Shin edited "Modify a storage policy" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48256073
Edwin Shin edited "Expose resources in the federated document store as a LowLevelCacheEntry " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48255587
Chris Beer estimated "Policy-driven BinaryKey generator" as 5 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252257
Chris Beer estimated "Test Infinispan cross-site replication feature" as 2 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48247851
<cbeer>ajs6f, barmintor: i'm not following the whole discussion12:00
but i'm not sure this is an issue
<ajs6f>what isn't an issue?
<cbeer>maybe we can talk about this tomorrow on the fcrepo call?
<barmintor>cbeer: ajs6f basically just said "any changes to the way we make binary keys must not break clustering"12:01
<cbeer>barmintor: and i don't see how they would. ISPN doesn't care
<barmintor>cbeer: okey doke
<ajs6f>cbeer: ISPN uses the key to decide where to send resources (amongst a cluster of nodes)
cbeer: that's why it's a circular hash.
I think.
<cbeer>ajs6f: it's a little trickier than that. but as long as they key is stable, ISPN doesn't really care about the key12:02
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin edited "Copy node from federated filesystem to Infinispan cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252423
<cbeer>until we get into node affinity, it's opaque as far as i know
<ajs6f>Does it generate its own internal ids with the circular hash?
<cbeer>ajs6f: not sure. i suspect it hashes the keys somehow12:03
<ajs6f>okay. That's ocol.
<cbeer>and ocol12:04
<ajs6f>ocol is even cooler than cool
<cbeer>i'm now in our interview, so ping me if you need me
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin added "Databank filesystem connector" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825730712:09
Edwin Shin edited "Databank filesystem connector" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48257307
<ppound>I'm back
<cbeer>eddies: that's not a small task12:10
adding one to ISPN is easy
but making MODE do anything with it is not.
i don't understand what we want to do with https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252687 i guess12:11
<pivotal-bot>feature: Copy node from one Infinispan cache to another (unstarted) / owner:
<cbeer>are we suggesting fcrepo 4 is doing raw ISPN interactions?
<ajs6f>we want to prove that we can
<cbeer>we know we can. fixity repair proved that
<cbeer>if you guys think it's a reasonable task, so be it. i've obviously missed most of the call12:12
eddies: i think it's either already done, or a really big task involving writing a lot of code in MODE to do multiple binary stores12:13
or we're doing it at the fcrepo 4 level
and i don't understand the benefit from doing that12:14
eddies: maybe we could table this to tomorrow?12:15
eddies: i feel like i have a lot of the investigation done.12:16
eddies: sure.12:17
<pivotal-bot>Edwin Shin edited "Copy node from one Infinispan cache to another" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252687
<barmintor>org.apache.cxf.interceptor.Fault: The values for the '{http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0}content' property on node '/objects/test:object/testDS2' no longer satisfy the type and/or constraints on the 'jcr:content' property definition on the 'nt:file' node type definition12:19
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Copy node from one Infinispan cache to another" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252687
Chris Beer added comment: "by node, do we mean fcrepo object, datastream, or other?" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825268712:20
A. "Forbulo" Soroka delivered "Remove old code related to keeping track of repo size" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/47758917
* kaarefc joins
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added comment: "how/where do we intend to do this copy? automatic based on policy or triggered via the REST API?" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825268712:21
Chris Beer added comment: "I'd strongly suggest not lightening too much of the storage to fcrepo4. Best keep it contained in MODE." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252687
Chris Beer added comment: "Another ISPN named cache should be configured in https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-webapp..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825474312:24
Chris Beer edited "Configure a second named cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48254743
Chris Beer estimated "Configure a second named cache" as 1 point https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48254743
<VincentNG>barmintor: do you have "extraPropertiesStorage": "json" configured?12:25
<barmintor>No. It's not really relevant yet.
<VincentNG>eddies: were you looking for this ticket? https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48200901
<pivotal-bot>feature: Reroute all properties access through a "choke point" where required properties are checked (unscheduled) / owner:
<barmintor>The bagit connector is regenerating the proerties everytime anyway
<cbeer>i guess we should ask about dietary things again12:26
pick-up at south station is a pian12:30
i think though
lots of 1-way streeets
there's a couple grocery stores downtown12:31
<barmintor>eddies: I have to go
or https://maps.google.com/maps?q=shaws+salem,+ma&hl=en&ll=42.510704,-70.910225&spn=0.10389,0.159645&sll=42.528328,-70.924454&sspn=0.20772,0.31929&hq=shaws&hnear=Salem,+Essex,+Massachusetts&t=m&fll=42.510704,-70.910225&fspn=0.10389,0.159645&z=1312:32
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=BOS&daddr=Whole+Foods+Market,+181+Cambridge+Street,+Boston,+MA+02114&hl=en&ll=42.367676,-71.042404&spn=0.052064,0.079823&sll=42.357275,-71.066866&sspn=0.052072,0.079823&geocode=FQeChgId41HE-yFEUS0fw5STDCk3SdrVFHDjiTFEUS0fw5STDA%3BFTxkhgIdc6DD-ylH6TxomnDjiTEnDqdild1GjA&mra=ls&t=m&z=14 if you're killing time downtown12:33
* anusha_ leaves
* nbanks joins12:48
* ajs6f leaves13:08
* ajs6f joins13:14
* ap2972 leaves13:16
<cbeer>ajs6f++ good food list13:20
<ajs6f>Good food = strong work.
<eddies>cbeer: kimchee?13:38
<cbeer>ask ajs6f.
i can't stand the stuff.
<eddies>oh that was him =)
pfft. racist.
(sorry, that's more of an inside joke i have w/ a friend who also hates the stuff)13:39
<cbeer>equal opportunity racist though. most mustard falls in the same category.
<ajs6f>cbeer: we'll start with small doses on monday and work our way up.
<eddies>i have a giant tupperware of the stuff i brought back from seoul last week. mmMMMMMmmMMMMmm
but i dare not carry it on the plane to boston13:40
<ajs6f>eddies: Oh, pleasepleaseplease.
Or you can mail it.
<eddies>i'm pretty sure despite whatever measures i take to wrap it up, it would stink up either the cabin or my luggage
<cbeer>first pass. we'll see when i get time to take a deeper dive.
<ajs6f>Stink up? You mean its delicious aroma will perfume all around it.13:42
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added comment: "Considerations: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Policy-Driven+storage+in+Modeshape" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825268713:46
Chris Beer edited "Automate modeshape snapshot builds." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4818401913:48
* ap2972 joins14:04
<barmintor>getting federated nodes to implement mix:versionable == bad news14:36
<barmintor>well, one because the connector world is Document centered, and there are node-centered properties defined on that mixin14:37
B., because I need to figure out how to fake all these node reference things, and we don't have those mixin classes yet :P14:38
<ajs6f>node ref things?14:39
<barmintor>when you clone a node, MODE wants to use the base version of the node you're cloning
mix:versionable/jcr:baseVersion is a node reference14:40
<ajs6f>oh, cause versions are independent node?
<barmintor>I guess?
that's what I'm assuming14:41
<ajs6f>yah, they are, related by special relationsuips.
* nbanks leaves14:52
<barmintor>we need to learn about the mechanics of MODE's versioning, nodes and priperties
Oh, wait. Not done yet.
<cbeer>ok, this binarystore implementation is going to drive us crazy.14:56
it seems like /all/ a BinaryStore gets is a byte[] or an InputStream
and the factory doesn't get much more than that.14:57
<ajs6f>No ID?
<cbeer>and everything on top of that is making calls into the factory
nope. the binary store is apparently responsible for generating the BinaryKey
which i guess makes sense14:58
Yeah, but that really hurts.
That's a kick in the gut for us.
<cbeer>yup. looks like we get to add a big new mechanic to MODE
<ajs6f>Okay, I think we got to talk to the MODE people firs thing.
<cbeer>(probably not that bad, but Intellij crashes trying to find all the #create calls)14:59
agreed. i think we can probably show them an akubra usecase
* nbanks joins
<cbeer>i suspect they're open to some refactoring because there's a lot of duplication in the existing Stores15:00
<ajs6f>Hey, it's a long-running project.
Do we feel like fcrepo3 is a good role model? :)15:01
<barmintor>I don't think I can make a federated node versioned?
<ajs6f>Wouldn't that require creating multiple version-nodes in external storage?
<barmintor>I don't know how I could get the NodeKey of the node MODE is going to create from the DocumentWriter
<ajs6f>I think you're not supposed to be able to.
<barmintor>I can't even make myself the base version15:02
<ajs6f>A Connector can't, only the higher-level class Connectors. (good name pattern)
<barmintor>maybe MODE does something if I say I'm versionable
<ajs6f>Are you versionable?15:08
* VincentNG leaves15:21
* nbanks leaves
* VincentNG joins
<pivotal-bot>A. "Forbulo" Soroka started "Copy node from federated filesystem to Infinispan cache" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4825242315:43
* ppound leaves15:50
* ap2972 leaves15:56
* kaarefc leaves15:58
<ajs6f>Okay. It turns out that you cannot simply move nodes from a federated source to anywhere else.16:11
You have to copy them.
That's expensive as ())(*).
it kind of depends on whther it has to be a deep copy or not
But even a shallow copy of binary stuff could be harsh.
* github-ff joins
[node-goes-from-federated-to-ispn] ajs6f created master (+1 new commit): http://git.io/f0iFNA
node-goes-from-federated-to-ispn/master c116597 ajs6f: Demo for examination
* github-ff leaves
<ajs6f>20 GB of video?16:13
BTW: There's a demo of copying.
<barmintor>I don't think I can get a connector to realize nodes that support mix:versionable
* jcoyne leaves
<ajs6f>Maybe we need to check with the MODE crew and see whether that's supported and if not, why not, and so forth.16:14
<barmintor>oh, I know why not
Are we just not cool enough?
<barmintor>where would you get the version nodes?
and their keys?
<barmintor>the whole document interface pre-supposes not having access to keys
<ajs6f>Maybe we talk to Neil and Thorny and explain...16:15
<barmintor>and, unfortunately, [fedora:resource] > mix:versionable
<ajs6f>that if you want the main stores to be both durable and xactional,
you can't have versioning.
<ajs6f>Or you have to build it out on top.
<cbeer>ajs6f: oh yeah. i forgot that you weren't at the hackfest last time16:16
<ajs6f>We're not that far from a point at which we could honestly say, "Thorny, if you want versioning over durable stores, give us a dev."
cbeer: eh?16:17
<cbeer>ajs6f: food.
<ajs6f>cbeer: eh x 2?
<cbeer>ajs6f: we ate loads of bacon before code4lib.
<ajs6f>cbeer: no prob.
cbeer: As long as everyone enjoys. I'll just eat smoked fish in the corner.16:18
<barmintor>I know that's true, but it's hilarious to see it typed out there
"we ate loads of bacon before code4lib."
* fasseg joins
<ajs6f>I know the truth. You just ate the bacon as bar snacks to make the beer go down faster.16:19
Salty, salty.
<cbeer>right. so. back to work... the problem with modeshape only giving the BinaryStore the value is we want to smuggle a hints payload into the BinaryStore.16:21
<ajs6f>Yeah. I can't _believe_ BinStore doesn't even get a key.
Wrapping hints into the bitstream is… no. Just no.16:22
<cbeer>well, it makes sense. your binarykey will change depending on where you stored it
a database might use some sequence number, a filesystem might use a file path, etc.
(although in practice, i think they all use sha-1s)
<ajs6f>_If_ you put the hint into the key.
<barmintor>(except Amazon)
<ajs6f>Which IMNSHO is wrong.
BUt we got what we got.16:23
Changing the contract of the BinaryStore would mean changing the code of every client. Urg.16:24
<cbeer>i'm not sure how true that actually is, but, yes, it's not a small change
<cbeer>i feel like they lock the binary stores pretty far away
<cbeer>and we could always add a HintsStripperBinaryStoreProxy16:25
<ajs6f>That's a Spring-worthy name.
I feel like we're running into the heritage of JBoss DNA.
<cbeer>i'm working on my java-esque naming
<ajs6f>The whole proposition of which was to put an inpenetrable surface over a variety of persistence.16:26
<cbeer>it also wouldn't be so hard to rewrite:
BinaryValue binary = factories().getBinaryFactory().create(value);
as get the factory, see if it's a hintscapablebinaryfactory and pass in hints
<ajs6f>No, but how many places would it have to be rewritten?
<cbeer>there are only 16 usages that i see in modeshape
That's a nice surprise.16:27
<cbeer>hm. maybe a few more of getBinaryFactory() itself
either way <50
places to check
<ajs6f>Okay. But what about the creation of binary values from JCR?
<barmintor>you could just add a create(byte[] value, Hint[] hints) method to the BinaryFactory interface
<ajs6f>Node.setProperty(name, value)
would have to be extended to accept hints, right?16:28
<cbeer>you don't think we can cheat there?
<cbeer>i guess it all depends what sort of hints we're trying to expose16:29
i assumed they'd all be existing properties of the node/property/value
maybe that's a bad assumption
<ajs6f>Depends on what the word "policy" in "policy-driven storage" unpacks into.
But I think it's a fine assumption to start with.
We're not out to create the XACML of storage.16:30
<cbeer>good thing we can scope it and say "PATCHES WELCOME"
<cbeer>i think one of my suggestions on the wiki was to start with something that looks a lot like the projections.. /objects/abc and /objects/def use different stores.
i hope that information is easy to get at
and then we can build the HintProviderFactory interface once MODE has comments for s16:31
<ajs6f>But projections are a repo-wide thing, so policy would also be repo-wide.
And we don't let clients decide where to put things in JCR. We do that for them.
At least so fra.
but at the point where we make that decision, we can have some fcrepo4-land logic to push things to different trees16:32
<cbeer>at least it lets us make sufficient progress to get feedback from MODE
<ajs6f>I'm starting to wonder whether we may really need some hierarchy.
So we're reversing the projections, kind of.16:33
Projecting out of the repo into external sources.
<cbeer>yes, it's probably time to commit to hierarchy.
<ajs6f>I think it was time five years ago. :)
<cbeer>and this may be the concrete thing to drive it
<ajs6f>The graph is beautiful, but treacherous.
Hierarchy has a simple, honest virtue.16:34
I like the idea of reverse projections.
<cbeer>hm. i guess we could also change the signature of getBinaryFactory()
<ajs6f>Simple enough to move quickly forward.
Is that what you meant by "define different BinaryStores to be used in different parts of the JCR tree"?16:35
<cbeer>yes. i think so.
We can come back and add more sophisticated management.
If we want to.
<barmintor>another option: your policies can only operate on size of the bytestream and its detectable MIME type16:36
<ajs6f>That's also a kind of reverse projection, but you'd have to think of the repo "slice" as being defined by a query and not a path.
Paths are easy. :)
Especially in JCR>
<barmintor>sort of- I was thinking your BinaryFactory would just analyze the content, look at your policy, and assign a store appropriately16:37
<cbeer>except that the JcrValue doesn't get to know what its path is!?
<ajs6f>Yeah, I get you. I'm thinking in terms of what the word "policy" comes to mean.
<barmintor>cbeer: but it gets the bytes payload, right?
<cbeer>i'm still trying to figure out how JcrValues are created.16:38
<ajs6f>I got to run. Y'all let me know when it's all worked out and we know exactly what we need to do. k thanks bye!
<cbeer>ah, a ValueFactory
* ajs6f leaves
<barmintor>is there anything factories *can't* do?
<cbeer>hm. looks like this'll have exactly the same problem.16:40
the JcrValueFactory lets something upstream know what the JcrValue/BinaryValue is
JcrContentHandler sure does a lot of work16:42
* jcoyne joins17:09
<cbeer>hm. looks like we're actually pre-creating the Binary value ourselves17:32
in fcrepo-land code
that's.. handy.
* github-ff joins17:46
[fcrepo4] fasseg pushed 1 new commit to jersey-grizzly: http://git.io/cgoqtw
fcrepo4/jersey-grizzly ece5bdd fasseg: switched http-api to jersey and changed http-api integration tests to use grizzly
* github-ff leaves
* ap2972 joins17:57
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #177: SUCCESS in 3 min 53 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/177/18:05
Project fcrepo-fixity build #168: SUCCESS in 4 min 1 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity/168/18:06
* jcoyne leaves18:21
<fasseg>hmm can you guys tell me where the aduna repo dependencies come from? because it seems the maben repo at: http://repo.aduna-software.org/maven2/releases is offline for me and this sucks a bit ;)18:26
hmmmm: "NOTICE: This domain name expired on 04/13/2013 and is pending renewal or deletion."18:27
that's why it sucks to have 3rd party maven repos hidden in the poms ;)
<cbeer>fasseg: looks like it might have been sesame?18:30
<fasseg>yep it's the openrdf dependency that fails for me
Do we have to fetch that from arduna? no alternative locations?
<fasseg>blergh. it's the jar hell all over again
* VincentNG leaves18:45
<cbeer>whoa. now i'm very confused at the relationship between modeshape and its binary stores18:50
i was able to rationalize the idea that the binary stores calculated the binarykey themselves18:51
because it's more efficient or whatever
but the BinaryKey class insists that keys are SHA-1 hashes
oh, i guess it stops short of that18:52
<barmintor>Well, I'm very cuckoo about trying to get cloning these nodes to work. Time for a break. BinaryKeys this weekend. Good luck!
* ap2972 leaves18:54
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Ensure fcrepo4 datastream read times are consistently faster than fcrepo3 read times" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4828873919:07
Chris Beer added "Ensure fcrepo4 datastream write times are consistently faster than fcrepo3 write times" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48288755
Chris Beer edited "Test Infinispan cross-site replication feature" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4824785119:08
Chris Beer edited "Test Infinispan cross-site replication feature" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48247851
* github-ff joins19:09
[fcrepo4] fasseg pushed 1 new commit to jersey-grizzly: http://git.io/10CTHw
fcrepo4/jersey-grizzly a8e45f3 fasseg: switched RSSPublisher to Jersey impl and changed integration test to use grizzly
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Policy-aware BinaryStoreValueFactory implementation" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48288873
Chris Beer edited "Policy-aware BinaryStoreValueFactory implementation" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4828887319:10
Chris Beer added comment: "Dependent on first pass at https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48288873" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48252687
Chris Beer added comment: "Upgraded to 5.3.0.Alpha1" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4763933519:11
Chris Beer accepted "Upgrade to ISPN 5.3 (when available) to fix clustering work-around." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/47639335
<fasseg>well im turning in...only the fcrepo-generator-rdf is left for me to switch to jersey/grizzly, which I can't do at the moment since the arduna servers are offline...
good night...
* fasseg leaves
<cbeer>hm. i wonder if this is our issue: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-254919:19
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added comment: "http://docs.jboss.org/jbosstm/5.0.0.M1/guides/narayana-jta-installation_guide/chap-JBossJTA_Installation_Guid..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4614232919:23
Chris Beer started "Remove crappy temp files that leak into the container directory" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/46142329
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #178: SUCCESS in 4 min 45 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/178/19:29
Project fcrepo-fixity build #169: SUCCESS in 4 min 52 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity/169/19:31
* jcoyne joins20:04
* jcoyne leaves20:32
* jcoyne joins20:40
* ap2972 joins21:25
* ap2972 leaves21:29
* VincentNG joins22:14
* jcoyne leaves22:59
* eddies leaves23:24
* eddies joins23:37
* eddies leaves
* eddies joins
* eddies leaves23:53
* VincentNG leaves00:04
* eddies joins00:12
* eddies leaves
* eddies joins
* jonathangee leaves00:34
* jonathangee joins00:39
* jonathangee leaves00:56
* jonathangee joins01:04

Generated by Sualtam