Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* westgard1 joins02:01
* dbernstein leaves02:56
* westgard1 leaves
* dbernstein joins03:07
* dbernstein leaves03:11
* dbernstein joins04:08
* dbernstein leaves04:12
* westgard1 joins04:42
* westgard1 leaves04:46
* dbernstein joins05:09
* dbernstein leaves05:13
* westgard1 joins06:30
* westgard1 leaves06:35
* dwilcox joins06:41
* dbernstein joins07:10
* dbernstein leaves07:15
* westgard1 joins07:46
* westgard1 leaves07:48
* westgard joins07:49
[API Alignment Standup]07:53
Finished yesterday:
- Still reading/thinking about
Working on today:
- Try to finish example and solicit more use-cases
Blockers:
- None
* westgard leaves
* dbernstein joins08:11
* benpennell joins08:13
* benpennell leaves08:16
* dbernstein leaves
* benpennell joins
* dwilcox leaves08:27
* dwilcox joins08:53
* harringj joins08:55
* dwilcox leaves08:56
* dwilcox joins08:59
* apb18 joins09:02
* yamil joins09:17
* peichman joins09:20
* bseeger joins09:25
* awoods joins09:26
<bseeger>[API Alignment Standup]09:42
Finished yesterday:
read through SOLID WebAC spec
looked at how fedora versioning currently functions
Working on today:
continue identifying differences between API spec and how fedora currently works with versioning and azn
Blockers:
none
<escowles_>[API Alignment Standup]09:44
Finished yesterday:
- Didn't finish it, but working on making FCREPO-2584 backwards compatible
Working on today:
- keep plugging away at it
Blockers:
- lots of meetings
<benpennell>[API Alignment Standup]09:53
Finished Yesterday:
* Created bug tick for version retrieval issue https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2607
* Drafting versioning tickets, attempting to work through versioning specification issues and vocabulary
Working on today:
* Continue discussing versioning issues, writing tickets
Blockers:
* Decisions about fcrepo spec issues #217 and #215
<harringj>API Alignment Standup09:58
Finished yesterday:
FCREPO-2593: LDP-NR creation failures must use the correct response code
Working on today:
 Continue working on FCREPO-2600
      
Blockers:
 my tenuous grasp of the codebase
escowles: i'm not seeing what the difference between a depth header value of 0 or infinity would be for a binary. binaries don't contain internal members, do they? as i understand it — and please forgive me if i'm totally confused here — the only use fedora has for a depth header vis-a-vis DELETE is to decide in the case of a container resource whether to remove just the container or to remove it along with all of its children10:04
* bryjbrown joins
* bryjbrown leaves
<escowles_>harringj: yes, there wouldn't be any difference between 0 and infinity for binaries
for containers, only infinity is allowed (modeshape only does recursive deletes)10:05
* lsitu joins10:14
<harringj>escowles: i see. so a depth header with 0 or infinity for binaries will be accepted, but both values would result in the same DELETE behavior; other values in the header would lead to an error being thrown. for containers, only infinity will be accepted, since DELETE is recursive; other values would throw an error10:18
<escowles>yep, i think that's right
<lsitu>[API Alignment Standup]10:25
Finished yesterday:
Support Want-Digest header on HEAD and GET of LDP-NRs: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2601
Coding for Ensure correct behavior of returning Preference-Applied header: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2596
Working on today:
Ensure correct behavior of returning Preference-Applied header: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2596
Add support for Want-Digest header to external content: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2587
Blockers:
None
<bseeger>escowles — in thinking about server versus client managed versioning — is that a policy decision or a config var, or could a server do both?10:28
ie, if server managed versioning is at play, then any PUT or POST to a resource causes a version of that resource to be created…. ??10:29
<escowles>i think a server could be configured to do either, or could do both (e.g., modeshape had a thing where you could enable auto-versioning by adding a mixin — not sure if that's still around or not)10:31
* Bram_Hauer joins10:53
* whikloj joins
* github-ff joins10:58
[fcrepo-specification] zimeon opened pull request #219: Add missing anchors and move some from h2 to section tag (master...fix-anchors) https://git.io/v5H3q
* github-ff leaves
* dbernstein joins11:00
<awoods>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2017-09-14+-+Fedora+Tech+Meeting
* escowles is here11:01
* apb18 is here11:02
* escowles leaves11:03
* escowles joins11:04
<bseeger>*is here *
I can speak to azn/versioning11:06
<escowles>though it certainly sounds like somebody is typing madly...11:07
<apb18>https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-258211:09
<harringj>*is here*
<bseeger>abp18 - you got very quiet11:11
https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9096450711:12
* github-ff joins11:13
[fcrepo-specification] zimeon opened pull request #220: Add to definition of LDPRv that not only URI-R but also TimeGate (master...ldprv-is-timegate) https://git.io/v5HGY
* github-ff leaves
<whikloj>peichman++ # That's what I was going to say11:19
<escowles></scrubbed> dct:replaces </pre_scrubbing>11:20
<peichman>escowles++11:21
* github-ff joins11:22
[fcrepo-specification] zimeon opened pull request #221: Fix typo: add missing hyphen (master...missing-hyphen) https://git.io/v5HZy
* github-ff leaves
<bseeger>yes they should be immutable11:23
* mcritchlow joins11:32
<whikloj>bseeger: crush them!!!11:37
Mementos are not backup nor disaster recovery
<escowles>+111:38
<bseeger>I don't think people have used versioning very much… but I don't know that for sure.11:40
(versioning in fcrepo, that is)11:41
<benpennell>memento is clearly built around the use case of the original having gone away but retaining the history
<peichman>minutes question: who is currently speaking?
<bseeger>danny bernstein
<peichman>thx
* lsitu leaves11:42
<benpennell>so it might be good to look at how fedora's expected usage of versioning differs from web archiving and amazon
* lsitu joins
<apb18>Wouldn't a safe way to delete a resource + versions be to DELETE the LDPCv (to delete versions implicitly), then the LDPRv?11:44
<whikloj>bseeger++ # we got you11:49
<peichman>bseeger++
<apb18>(that sort of fix may change how we use modeshape for versions significantly)
<benpennell>if you do that then you get the multiple containment issue though (two LDPCv's would contain the version of b)
<whikloj>apb18: I think that is necessary
<apb18>(not that there's anything wrong with that)
<whikloj>awoods++11:51
<apb18>We could also do baby steps and start with single-resource versioning, then figure out trees :)11:52
<whikloj>apb18: that might be the best
I am not advocating for whole repo snapshots nor even necessarily versioning linked resources, just trying to find the margins
<apb18>(probably abandon)11:53
<whikloj>I feel like mikeAtUva made it seem that Modeshape was not helpful11:54
apb18++
<benpennell>i'm not sure about taking a default approach of making versioning totally backwards incompatible with fcrepo 4 by not initially taking a tree version approach
<whikloj>sprinters++
<apb18>conversation++11:55
<peichman>4.7.5++ :-)11:58
<escowles>dropping off for another call11:59
* whikloj gotta drop for 'nother meetin12:01
<dbernstein>[API Alignment Standup]12:03
Finished yesterday:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2602
(Use Activity Streams JSON for message bodies)
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2603 (Use proper actor values for emitted messages
Working on today:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2585
Advertise each supported external content type in Accept-Post response header
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2586
Unsupported external-body access-types must result in 415 Unsupported Media Type
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2594(once https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/pull/1229 conflicts are resolved and it is merged):
PUT must fail with 409 if trying to change interaction model to non-subtype
Blockers:
None
<apb18>dbernstein FYI, I' actively looking at your PR now
<dbernstein>oh good. thanks.12:04
* bseeger leaves12:30
* github-ff joins12:45
[fcrepo4] lsitu opened pull request #1233: Ensure correct behavior of returning Preference-Applied header for Get request. (master...feature/preference_applied) https://git.io/v5HwN
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins12:54
[fcrepo4] escowles pushed 2 new commits to interaction-model: https://git.io/v5HoJ
fcrepo4/interaction-model 12e87ac Esmé Cowles: Updating javascript to send the correct interaction model header
fcrepo4/interaction-model 4bd0e5a Esmé Cowles: Falling back on mime type to determine interaction model.
* github-ff leaves
* bseeger joins
* github-ff joins13:00
[fcrepo4] escowles force-pushed interaction-model from 4bd0e5a to b0efeb3: https://git.io/v5Hoj
fcrepo4/interaction-model f2136c8 Esmé Cowles: Use Link header to determine interaction model, instead of mime type sniffing
fcrepo4/interaction-model 0a32e5c Esmé Cowles: Updating javascript to send the correct interaction model header
fcrepo4/interaction-model b0efeb3 Esmé Cowles: Falling back on mime type to determine interaction model.
* github-ff leaves
* escowles_ joins13:04
* escowles leaves13:07
* travis-ci joins13:09
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5129 (interaction-model - 4bd0e5a : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/9394550f612e...4bd0e5a0fc36
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275550470
* travis-ci leaves
* travis-ci joins13:10
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5130 (interaction-model - b0efeb3 : Esmé Cowles): The build has errored.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/4bd0e5a0fc36...b0efeb34322d
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275552853
* travis-ci leaves
<harringj>escowles:i'm trying to get values from the depth header to ensure the DELETE action handles those correctly. i'd like to use something like this: final String depth = headers.getHeaderString(HttpHeaders.DEPTH);13:22
but HttpHeaders doesn't appear to have DEPTH defined as a value 
any ideas on how else i can grab the depth values from the header?
* benpennell leaves13:23
* benpennell joins13:24
* harringj leaves13:39
<escowles_>harringj: i don't think it needs to be defined to be used — you should be able to just do headers.getHeaderString("Depth")13:42
<benpennell>escowles: it seems like we may end up with a number of headers not covered in standard header sets after these sprints, i wonder if there should be a class of constants for them in http/commons/api?13:44
<escowles>benpennell: that seems reasonable to me — there may already be some places where we've defined header names, too13:45
<benpennell>i assumed so too, i looked around a little and didn't immediately find them though13:46
the "slug" header for instance is hardcoded in all the usages I see13:47
* mcritchlow leaves13:52
* github-ff joins14:10
[fcrepo4] escowles created digest-consistency (+1 new commit): https://git.io/v5HSl
fcrepo4/digest-consistency 78c3ef2 Esmé Cowles: Adding tests verifying the Digest header is consistent for GET and HEAD
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins14:11
[fcrepo4] escowles opened pull request #1234: Adding tests verifying the Digest header is consistent for GET and HEAD (master...digest-consistency) https://git.io/v5HSE
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins14:15
[fcrepo4] escowles force-pushed container-constraints from e67cd38 to 127a590: https://git.io/v5H9L
fcrepo4/container-constraints 91e4c13 Esmé Cowles: Add Link rel=ldp:constrainedby header for Containers
fcrepo4/container-constraints 127a590 Esmé Cowles: Updating to reflect updated implementation in #1229
* github-ff leaves
<bseeger>escowles - where is that handy dandy link you created to see all the API spec tickets in jira?14:18
* harringj joins14:21
<escowles>bseeger: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?filter=1430214:24
* travis-ci joins
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5134 (container-constraints - 127a590 : Esmé Cowles): The build has errored.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/e67cd38f5835...127a59004d92
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275579704
* travis-ci leaves
* travis-ci joins14:25
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5132 (digest-consistency - 78c3ef2 : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/commit/78c3ef23f8e0
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275577547
* travis-ci leaves
<harringj>escowles: one more clarification re: FCREPO-2600 — i was reading the docs for depth headers here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-10.2 . this language makes me think we want to ignore the depth header completely for binaries: "The Depth header only specifies the behavior of the method with regards to internal members. If a resource does not have internal members, then the Depth header MUST be ignored." am i understandi14:47
his correctly? also, as far as i've been able to tell, we can assume a depth header will contain only one value, e.g., "Depth: 0". is this also your understanding?
<escowles>harringj: oh, that makes sense — and yes, we should only get a single value14:48
<harringj>escowles: thank you!14:49
* dwilcox leaves14:53
<bseeger>escowles: thanks for the link!15:00
* harringj leaves15:03
* dwilcox joins15:13
* harringj joins15:18
* apb18_ joins15:28
* apb18_ leaves
<whikloj>apb18: do you have a moment for an API-X question?15:34
<apb18>whikloj: of course
<whikloj>apb18: fcrepo-api-x-indexing what does that feature do?15:35
<apb18>It indexes service documents in a triple store, for those who wish to index service docs in a triple store.
(i.e. it really ought to belong in something like fcrepo-camel-toolbox)
<whikloj>apb18: ok cool and does API-X start its own Activemq instance?15:36
<apb18>no, it does not. It connects/listens to one, though
<whikloj>ok that's fine, on the default localhost:61616 I'm assuming?
<apb18>Yes, that's the default15:37
<whikloj>apb18: thanks
<apb18>whikloj: No problem at all!15:38
<bseeger>apb18 - what is a 'service' document?15:39
documents that a service registering with API-X might need? config and stuff like that?15:40
<apb18>It lists the services available to an object, and their endpoints.
bseeger: https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo-api-x/blob/master/src/site/markdown/service-discovery-and-binding.md#service-document15:42
<bseeger>apb18 - thanks15:44
* github-ff joins15:49
[fcrepo4] lsitu opened pull request #1235: Include Content-Location header in external content GET and HEAD responses. (master...feature/content_location) https://git.io/v5HpS
* github-ff leaves
* harringj leaves15:53
* github-ff joins15:56
[fcrepo4] escowles force-pushed container-constraints from 127a590 to f8d79cf: https://git.io/v5H9L
fcrepo4/container-constraints f8d79cf Esmé Cowles: Updating to reflect updated implementation in #1229
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins16:13
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5137 (container-constraints - f8d79cf : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/127a59004d92...f8d79cf8c0f6
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275616352
* travis-ci leaves
* mcritchlow joins16:19
* github-ff joins16:23
[fcrepo4] escowles force-pushed interaction-model from b0efeb3 to 389015f: https://git.io/v5Hoj
fcrepo4/interaction-model 389015f Esmé Cowles: Falling back on mime type to determine interaction model.
* github-ff leaves
* harringj joins16:30
* travis-ci joins16:41
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5139 (interaction-model - 389015f : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/b0efeb34322d...389015f72f9d
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275627452
* travis-ci leaves
* bseeger leaves17:04
* peichman leaves17:25
* mcritchlow leaves17:32
* benpennell leaves
* yamil leaves17:41
* apb18 leaves17:47
* apb18 joins17:59
* whikloj leaves18:00
* apb18 leaves18:20
* harringj leaves18:43
* github-ff joins18:50
[fcrepo-specification] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: https://git.io/v5QZP
fcrepo-specification/master cd1ddfe Simeon Warner: Fix context typo (#216)
* github-ff leaves
* benpennell joins18:51
* dbernstein leaves18:54
* dbernstein joins18:58
* dbernstein leaves19:35
* github-ff joins21:01
[fcrepo4] birkland pushed 1 new commit to master: https://git.io/v5Q0W
fcrepo4/master 8a96967 Aaron Birkland: Merge pull request #1229 from fcrepo4/interaction-model...
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins21:17
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5141 (master - 8a96967 : Aaron Birkland): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/665279352ef7...8a96967aa208
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275704953
* travis-ci leaves
* github-ff joins21:19
[fcrepo4] birkland pushed 1 new commit to master: https://git.io/v5QE8
fcrepo4/master dacebb0 Esmé Cowles: Add Link rel=ldp:constrainedby header for Containers (#1230)...
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins21:35
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5142 (master - dacebb0 : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/8a96967aa208...dacebb0438a6
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275708449
* travis-ci leaves
* lsitu leaves22:19
* dwilcox leaves22:27
* github-ff joins22:52
[fcrepo4] birkland closed pull request #1234: Adding tests verifying the Digest header is consistent for GET and HEAD (master...digest-consistency) https://git.io/v5HSE
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins23:06
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#5143 (master - fc57d97 : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/dacebb0438a6...fc57d9797187
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/275724792
* travis-ci leaves
* awoods leaves23:12

Generated by Sualtam