Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* dhlamb joins08:34
* acoburn joins08:54
* whikloj joins09:20
* yamil joins09:25
* acoburn1 joins09:48
* acoburn1 leaves09:50
* acoburn leaves
* escowles leaves10:27
* escowles joins10:28
* coblej joins11:00
* coblej is here11:01
<awoods>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2017-03-23+-+Fedora+Tech+Meeting
* escowles is here
* kefo joins
* ruebot is here
* barmintor joins
* acoburn joins11:02
<escowles>@barmintor you sound in no way max-headroom-ish
<whikloj>Resistance is futile!
* ylchen joins
<barmintor>it's a trap
<acoburn>*is here*
<ylchen>is here11:03
<barmintor>I didn't, and then I did11:04
- awoods, running for office
* bseeger joins
<escowles>good to do when muted, of course
<barmintor>dhlamb!11:05
<whikloj>yes
* mcritchlow joins
<bseeger>*is here*
* zimeon joins11:07
<barmintor>I think we should be very careful about saying "removing it" when we mean "removing it from the core spec"
<ruebot>https://github.com/fcrepo/fcrepo-specification/issues/76#issuecomment-288736008
^^ umd's input11:08
<barmintor>escowles: I also just want to make sure we don't represent spec removal as functional removal11:09
<escowles>ruebot++ # peichman was one of the people from maryland yesterday
<barmintor>acoburn: like, there's no analog for conditional PUT across n resources, and thus unspecifable implementation decisions outside of the identification of a transaction.11:18
<acoburn>barmintor: yes, exactly; and when you introduce non-idempotent methods such as PATCH, it gets even worse11:19
barmintor: https://gist.github.com/acoburn/a412815cb3dd805b3f32011389144e48
<barmintor>acoburn: I think this suggests that breaking BAO out, and letting tx identification's utility on its own make its own argument?11:20
<acoburn>barmintor: yes, I agree with that11:21
<escowles>i like the idea of batch operations being their own spec — both to make it clear that it's not required of all fedora impls, but also to give it time to define what the behavior really is
<acoburn>escowles++11:22
<barmintor>I also agree with zimeon that "MAY implement this whole section" and auxiliary spec is a stylistic matter11:24
<zimeon>I also think that in the case of batch operations (as currently defined) there is no problem determining whether they are implemented11:26
<barmintor>right, just a lack of clarity about what that means :)
<zimeon>so that doesn't argue for "in spec but optional" vs "separate spec"
<ruebot>escowles++11:28
* ruebot would support moving batch atomic operations into a separate spec
* ajwagner joining late
<escowles>i also think "atomic-LDP" is a catchy name
<whikloj>escowles++11:29
* ruebot will even volunteer to do the pull request :-)
<zimeon>arguments for separate spec: clarity of what core compliance means; separate timeline; readability of core spec
<barmintor>zimeon++ // these are good points
<acoburn>+111:31
<ruebot>+1
<barmintor>quartz is as good if not better than marble, and has more modern styling
<ajwagner>Yank++11:33
<escowles>+1
<kefo>That's what I understood.
<coblej>+1
<acoburn>+1
<barmintor>+1 for break out
<whikloj>Move it out
<zimeon>+1
<barmintor>awoods: can we put it to the mailing list with a short timeline for feedback?11:34
in precisely the fashion you are describing on the call, with ruebot's PR
<ylchen>+111:35
<dhlamb>solidarity
<zimeon>in earlier comments ajs6f supports removal too
<dhlamb>by responding on the list in a polite fashion
<escowles>let's not all change our minds and disagree about this tomorrow (or whenever when ruebot's PR is in)11:36
<dhlamb>^^that
<whikloj>escowles++
<ruebot>https://github.com/fcrepo/fcrepo-specification/issues/76#issuecomment-288759179
<bseeger>+1 I'm in agreement with the changes11:37
<barmintor>awoods: this particular issue matters a lot for 3.5.211:42
<escowles>barmintor++ the new hydra architecture group would be a great place to discuss the spec and what hydra's opinions about it are11:43
<barmintor>escowles: bonus I can say HAWG again11:44
<escowles>and once that group winds down we can spin up the hydra archives working group again
<ruebot>One needs only say something 174835 times over the course of 6 months to finally get input.11:45
<escowles>ruebot: oof
<ruebot>hashtag stakeholders
<escowles>maybe we should say proxied content
because both proxied and redirected content is external to the repository...
<barmintor>escowles++ // clarity is good11:47
<dhlamb>barmintor: agreed. it being public doesn't fit a wide many use cases because authorization always seems to come up
* acoburn1 joins11:48
<dhlamb>escowles, i don't think that would be the case. agreed, that does smell.11:49
<barmintor>escowles dhlamb this is why I say it has a devops aspect
<dhlamb>oh, i see... i misinterrpeted what you said there
* acoburn leaves
<escowles>also, i would be totally fine with changing the mechanism of redirect content by using a particular predicate instead of the external-body mime type
<dhlamb>barmintor, that's how i've seen it done with f311:51
<escowles>+1 to keeping in one form or another11:53
<dhlamb>i'd solicit feedback for dropping redirects
to see if anyone needs it and external won't fit their needs
<barmintor>escowles: this also is a thing I really want to put to the Hydra solution bundle tech leads11:54
<escowles>barmintor: totally agree
<dhlamb>from the conversation yesterday, i'd say we have no pressing need for redirects. but i'm loathe to remove something folks may be running out in the wild11:55
we meaning islandora
<acoburn1>escowles++11:56
<awoods>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Developer+Resources11:57
* escowles is going to ldcx
* kefo is also going to ldcx.
<zimeon>me too
<dhlamb>ruebot is going11:58
* ruebot will be LDCX
https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/
<dhlamb>i'm not going, i'm not cool enough
* barmintor is going to be there
<ruebot>dhlamb: YOU'RE COOL AS ICE
<whikloj>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Git+Workflow#GitWorkflow-CreatePull-Request
<zimeon>maybe us northeasters are going because we are too cool out here
<barmintor>dhlamb: YOU'RE WILLING TO SACRIFICE
* ruebot disappears to another meeting11:59
<dhlamb>and now it's in my head. congratulations gentlemen. good troll, good troll
* escowles dropping off for another call12:00
<zimeon>thanks all
<dhlamb>bye
<whikloj>BYE
<barmintor>awoods: it's good to hear your voice again.
* ylchen leaves
* zimeon leaves
<awoods>barmintor: likewise
* barmintor leaves12:03
* coblej leaves12:10
<whikloj>awoods: minutes are up https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2017-03-23+-+Fedora+Tech+Meeting12:11
* acoburn1 leaves12:14
<awoods>thanks whikloj12:23
* coblej joins12:43
* escowles leaves12:45
* coblej leaves12:57
* acoburn joins12:58
* coblej joins13:02
* ejbivona joins
* ejbivona leaves13:26
* ejbivona joins13:35
* kefo leaves13:47
* coblej leaves13:55
* coblej joins13:56
* mcritchlow leaves13:58
* mcritchlow joins13:59
* mcritchlow leaves14:03
* mcritchlow joins14:05
* coblej leaves14:11
* coblej joins14:14
* coblej leaves14:18
* coblej joins14:40
* mcritchlow leaves14:58
* coblej leaves15:03
* coblej joins15:07
* yamil leaves15:34
* yamil joins15:36
* ejbivona leaves15:42
* ericb joins
* ejbivona leaves16:00
* ejbivona joins16:02
* mcritchlow joins16:03
* bseeger leaves16:33
* ejbivona leaves16:50
* ejbivona joins16:54
* coblej leaves17:06
* coblej joins17:07
* coblej leaves
* yamil leaves17:09
* acoburn leaves17:18
* ejbivona leaves17:51
* whikloj leaves18:00
* mcritchlow leaves18:11
* whikloj joins19:29
* whikloj leaves20:28
* mcritchlow joins20:48
* dhlamb leaves20:57
* whikloj joins21:18
* whikloj leaves
* mcritchlow leaves21:20
* dwilcox joins21:23
* peichman joins21:27
* mcritchlow joins21:39
* dwilcox leaves21:44
* dwilcox joins21:47
* dwilcox leaves21:57
* peichman leaves21:58
* mcritchlow leaves22:53

Generated by Sualtam