Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* dbernstein leaves00:14
* dhlamb_ leaves00:22
* jonathangee leaves05:40
* jonathangee joins05:50
* jjtuttle leaves06:33
* jjtuttle joins06:44
* whikloj joins09:02
* ajs6f joins09:11
* dhlamb_ joins09:15
* peichman joins09:17
* ajs6f leaves09:28
* ajs6f joins09:36
* peichman leaves09:39
* peichman joins09:40
* peichman1 joins09:42
* peichman leaves09:45
* peichman1 leaves10:10
* peichman joins10:17
* apb18 joins10:30
* dwilcox joins10:50
* coblej joins10:59
<awoods>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2017-01-19+-+Fedora+Tech+Meeting
* coblej is here and is notetaker11:00
* ajs6f is here11:01
* ylchen joins
* dbernstein joins11:02
* dhlamb_ is here11:04
* dshalvi joins
* escowles joins11:05
<dbernstein>https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2383
* kefo joins
<ajs6f>Sort of depends on what you mean by that.11:09
<barmintor>sorry, systems director in my cube11:10
on my way
* barmintor is here11:11
<ruebot>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Sprint+3+Stakeholder+Feedback11:12
<ajs6f>Big ups to all of those who worked on that.11:13
<ruebot>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Sprint+3+Feedback+-+A+Woods
* kestlund joins11:14
<ruebot>coblej++11:16
dhlamb_++11:20
<ajs6f>Whoa. So that's the difference between http://www.bikesandtravels.com/comimg1/26052015161140.jpg and https://i.chzbgr.com/full/5185689344/hC65C1BAC/ .11:28
Okay, then.11:31
<kefo>Is there a list of anticipated breaking changes between current functionality and API alignment, and the nature of those changes?11:32
<whikloj>ruebot++
<coblej>current speaker is Aaron who?
<whikloj>Esme
<ruebot>birkland
<whikloj>oh sorry
<coblej>thanks
<escowles>filesystem federation comes to mind11:35
<ruebot>escowles++
<whikloj>hahaha11:36
<kefo>My feeling is if there is a list, it brings us a step closer to planning it out.
<ruebot>i believe that is agenda item #5 in today's agenda11:37
* kat3_drx joins
<apb18>Agreed on API alignment!11:40
<ajs6f>ruebot++
<ylchen>ruebot++
<ajs6f>Hell no.11:41
<apb18>I worry that API alignment will be a difficult task without being allowed to break things11:42
oops, dropped
<ajs6f>Glasses, vases, maybe soe wooden planks.
<escowles>of course we need to break things to align with the API spec11:43
<barmintor>you can't align with what doesn't exist, it is true11:44
<whikloj>ruebot++
<ajs6f>We have been in alignment with what doesn't exist for fifteen years.11:46
<barmintor>awoods: but at some point we should identify a calendar for comments11:47
<ajs6f>barmintor++
<escowles>april fools' day?11:48
<barmintor>escowles: cheeky
<ajs6f>escowles++11:49
<escowles>barmintor: stop fooling around and submit your feedback no later than 4/1/2017!
* barmintor shakes his head
<apb18>ruebot++
<ajs6f>RUEBOT+++++++
<escowles>ruebot++
<apb18>(for example, I haven't had any good 100% time yet)11:50
<ajs6f>apb18 is ALWAYS at 100%.11:51
And turned up to 11.
<apb18>ha11:52
<ruebot>april/may11:53
<escowles>now i have to update my joke: be a good comrade and work on your feedback before may day!11:54
<ruebot>escowles++11:55
<ajs6f>apb18+
apb18++11:56
<ruebot>apb18++11:57
awoods++11:58
<ajs6f>We will dribble them out like a Niagra Falls made of ketchup.11:59
<whikloj>awoods++
<ylchen>awoods++
<dshalvi>Didn't Thorny say we shouldn't have semantics in our identifiers?
<apb18>oh, if anybody is interested, there's an API-X meeting at 1:00!12:00
<ruebot>apb18++
* ylchen leaves
<ajs6f>Thorny and everyone else who knows why.12:02
But that claim is made about content resources or type resources
Or are you just pulling legs, dshalvi?12:03
I mean, you're right from a deep point of view. In a perfect world, we wouldn't use version numbers of the kind we do. We would use something more like Git.
<dshalvi>:) yes, his claim is about content resources
<ajs6f>I know it well. Most of what I believe very strongly about Fedora Thorny taught me.12:04
<dshalvi>Just start using UUIDs for Fedora version numbers...
<ajs6f>dshalvi: Sure, as long as we have a powerful descriptive metamodel alongside them.12:05
and flawless modularization technique: https://i.chzbgr.com/full/6265051392/h14CF131E/
<dshalvi>ajs6f: or use something like LaTeX versioning12:07
<ajs6f>dshlavi: I don't know that. I used LaTeX in college to type assignments, but I tried to notice it as little as possible. It was not a pleasant experience.12:09
* coblej leaves
* coblej joins
* coblej leaves12:14
* peichman leaves12:22
* coblej joins12:28
* coblej leaves12:33
* tolloid joins
* tolloid leaves12:38
* tolloid joins12:40
* tolloid leaves
* ajs6f leaves12:54
* ajs6f joins
<barmintor>anyway that's why I think we should reimplement it all with LaTeX12:59
* kestlund1 joins13:00
<barmintor>I kid, I kid
* coblej joins
<awoods>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2017-01-19+API+Extension+Architecture+Meeting
<dhlamb_>ajs6f, my history of mathematics course prof required all assignments to be written in LaTeX13:01
* coblej leaves
* dhlamb_ omw
* coblej joins
<ajs6f>My symbolic logic prof refused to believe that computers could "type" the backwards-E "exists" symbol.
* kestlund leaves13:02
<ajs6f>Even after I handed in papers containing it.
<barmintor>at this point I barely believe in computers
<whikloj>barmintor++13:03
* acoburn joins13:04
<ruebot>dhlamb_++13:12
<dhlamb_>apb18, if you can wait another month, i think another meeting's time is plenty enough for others to try out if they haven't13:17
<awoods>+1: close demo-1 mid-Feb13:18
<ruebot>dhlamb_: i'm happy to take the reigns on the install work on the claw side of things13:23
<awoods>apb18 (for Elliot): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Conferences
<dhlamb_>ruebot, we're already mostly there, tbh
<ruebot>dhlamb_: yeah, that's what i was thinking. figured it was just dropping in a couple things.13:24
<dhlamb_>sometimes it feels like OR is made specifically for giving deadlines13:27
either way is fine with me
<ruebot>dhlamb_: promise everything for OR or CNI!13:28
<barmintor>dhlamb_: that is a pretty good assessment of OR & CNI
<ajs6f>OR is made for long, detailed explanations of what you did on your summer vacation.13:30
CNI is made for long, detailed explanations of the budget for your summer vacation.
* ruebot snorts13:31
* coblej leaves
* coblej joins13:34
<dhlamb_>thx ruebot13:44
<ruebot>de nada13:45
<dhlamb_>awoods, apb18 image service, an ocr service, and the fits service are part of our mvp13:46
awoods, guess we're a pretty big fish
<ruebot>dhlamb_++
* tolloid joins13:47
<whikloj>awoods: that++13:52
<dhlamb_>apb18, my list will be an install with (at minimum) those three services. you can expect that from islandora13:54
<whikloj>dhlamb_: I'd like to help with that, give me a reason to spend more time with api-x13:56
<dhlamb_>whikloj, that can be arranged13:57
apb18, 1 month timeframe is fine
* kat3_drx leaves
<ruebot>apb18++13:59
<whikloj>apb18++14:00
<dhlamb_>thx so much apb18, and everyone else involved in the milestone
* acoburn leaves
<awoods>escowles: I missed your comment on today's tech call. It sounded like you have some scheduled time for import/export.14:03
<escowles>awoods: i'm working on setting it up for princeton this week and next14:04
(though mostly focusing on the export side of things)
right now i'm working on a rails engine that we'll plug into our hydra head to manage and track the status of export jobs that get triggered by our workflow14:05
<awoods>escowles: that is great. Will they be object-level exports?
<escowles>yes: we're planning on exporting a complete object with all attached FileSets and Files as one package14:06
<awoods>escowles: Also, Hyku is thinking about integrating import/export... it would be good to ensure that your efforts synergize where possible.
<escowles>(and bagged of course)
awoods: thanks for the heads-up — i'll ping them to see if our plans sound reasonable to them
<awoods>escowles: do you have a princeton bag profile? or are you using the default?14:07
<escowles>awoods: i have a ticket to decide what metadata/checksums we want — i expect we'll create our own profile
if nothing else, i suspect we want sha1+md5
<awoods>escowles: let me know if I can help... and I will certainly be on the lookout for PRs.14:08
* peichman joins14:13
* coblej leaves14:16
* coblej joins14:22
* kestlund1 leaves14:42
* coblej leaves14:50
* coblej joins14:57
* kestlund joins14:58
* kestlund1 joins
* kestlund leaves
* coblej leaves15:01
* coblej joins15:17
* kestlund1 leaves15:25
* coblej leaves15:27
<ajs6f>barmintor: I just found a major bug.15:31
* apb18 leaves15:34
* kestlund joins15:35
* tolloid leaves15:37
* tolloid joins15:41
* coblej joins15:45
* dshalvi leaves15:50
* ajs6f leaves15:56
* coblej leaves16:08
* coblej joins
* coblej leaves16:12
* tolloid_ joins16:17
* tolloid leaves16:18
* coblej joins16:20
* kestlund leaves16:57
* tolloid leaves17:00
* coblej leaves17:13
* peichman leaves17:30
* whikloj leaves18:03
* dhlamb_ leaves19:08
* kefo leaves20:35
* dwilcox leaves22:01

Generated by Sualtam