Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* jbarth_ubhd leaves02:57
* dwilcox joins07:04
* dwilcox leaves07:12
* mikeAtUVa joins07:54
* coblej joins08:10
* acoburn joins08:43
* whikloj joins09:02
* dhlamb joins09:17
* peichman joins09:21
* dwilcox joins09:27
* bseeger joins
* awoods joins09:47
* ajs6f joins09:53
* dwilcox leaves10:05
* awoods leaves
* awoods joins10:06
* dhlamb leaves10:09
<ajs6f>ruebot: ping10:11
* coblej leaves10:20
* coblej joins10:21
* coblej leaves10:25
* dhlamb joins10:31
* coblej joins10:35
<acoburn>awoods: related to https://github.com/fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/pull/115 is it fair to say that you won't be reviewing that before Jan?
awoods: there are parts of that I'd like to have on the sooner side of things10:38
<awoods>acoburn: no, I should be able to get to it before the end of next week.
<acoburn>awoods: ok, there will be a number of PRs related to the toolbox that we need at Amherst
<awoods>acoburn: so you are saying that PR-115 is the tip of a short-term iceberg?10:39
<acoburn>awoods: yes. and I'm wondering at what point I just fork the project, rename the groupId and maintain it internally — the turn-around time on this is not working for me10:40
awoods: or, we relax the "commits are merged by someone else" policy
<awoods>acoburn: If it is an issue (which apparently it is), we can find an additional stakeholder/maintainer.10:41
<acoburn>awoods: like bseeger. In fact, I'd like to nominate her
<awoods>acoburn: There are clearly more folks in the community who are relying on fcrepo-camel(-toolbox)
<acoburn>awoods: yes, and it's great that people are using it10:42
<awoods>acoburn: obviously bseeger would be great... although she does not represent a second institution.
<whikloj>acoburn: I'll help, what I lack in Java knowledge I make up for with boisterous attitude
<acoburn>awoods: my concern is that I initiate PRs and they mostly just sit there until I make noise
<awoods>acoburn: yes, there is no need for bottlenecks.10:43
<acoburn>awoods: I am more than happy to make this an Amherst project that gets published to Maven Central
<awoods>acoburn: what is your ideal turnaround time on a PR?
acoburn: making fcrepo-camel-toolbox an amherst project seems counter to the community ethos.10:44
<acoburn>awoods: obviously, this last one is really big and I can imagine that it would take some time to evaluate, but generally, I'd like to see things move forward w/i a couple days
awoods: how is it counter to a community ethos?10:45
awoods: it's not like there are many non-acoburn commits in there10:46
<awoods>acoburn: we want to bring the community together around projects/efforts10:47
<acoburn>awoods: I agree
awoods: I also want these projects to move forward
awoods: the main issue is that my time that is available for these things will be significantly less starting in Jan10:49
<awoods>acoburn: I am thinking about an approach where you deploy from an amherst branch that is a few days ahead of master... or some such model, if that allows you to move faster. Or is the issue around needing the artifacts to be in maven central?
<acoburn>awoods: so I'd like to move forward more quickly in Dec
awoods: I'd prefer to use artifacts that have been deployed to Maven Central
<awoods>acoburn: naturally10:50
<acoburn>awoods: what I'd really like to do is get the camel-toolbox to the point where we can do custom extensions of the java code
<awoods>acoburn: we should figure out a plan that meets your needs in December. Because, as you know, I will be offline starting at the end of next week.10:51
<acoburn>awoods: this is sort of like what we're currently doing (at Amherst) w/r/t the fedora WAR
awoods: yes, that is what concerns me
<awoods>acoburn: do you have a "custom extensions" pattern in mind?
<acoburn>awoods: I'd like to separate the blueprint.xml files from the java code10:52
<awoods>acoburn: maybe we can rally whikloj and JHU folks this month in support of code reviews.
<acoburn>awoods: there will be "pre-built" blueprint-based artifacts (like there are now)
<awoods>acoburn: ideally code reviews are not just rubber stamps.
<acoburn>awoods: but this way, if you need to extend them (as we do), you can
<whikloj>awoods/acoburn: I would also mention that I don't think the code being managed by Amherst would be a horrible thing.10:53
<acoburn>awoods: this also would allow you to run multiple copies of various extensions at the same time
awoods: which you can't do right now
awoods: and if you want to run the code in a WAR distribution (i.e. via Spring), the pattern for that would be more clear10:54
awoods: all of that will require some pretty big changes
awoods: in any case, we'll be managing the custom extensions at amherst anyway
<ajs6f>awoods: Ideally code reviews are neither rubber stamps nor dead ends10:56
+1 to bseeger coming in on camel-toolbox.
* dhlamb leaves
<ajs6f>acoburn: I would like to help reviewing that PR, but I am focused on the spec like a bewildered, tired laser.10:57
<acoburn>in terms of lines of code contributed to camel-toobox, bseeger is the second most significant contributor
ajs6f: I'm happy to see the spec moving forward10:58
<ajs6f>acoburn: Like a thundering herd of snails.
<awoods>acoburn: let's see if we can rally whikloj, bseeger and JHU folks this month in support of code reviews.
<ajs6f>I need to get some kind of explanation from either ruebot or barmintor as to the status of their fixity document.
Or I am going to have to start improvising.10:59
<awoods>ajs6f: are they not responding to emails?
<ajs6f>awoods; Just sending one now.
We will se.
and see
<awoods>ajs6f: as you know, they have both been tied up with the NYC F4 Camp this week.11:00
<ajs6f>awoods: I'm not interested in that Fedora stuff. That's no excuse for not working on Fedora.
<awoods>ajs6f: Do you expect to ever have interest in a Fedora implementation? or will you likely stay focused on the ideas that Fedora stands for?11:01
<ajs6f>awoods: I hear they're going to have Fedora on the computer soon. I'll take a look at it then.11:02
<awoods>acoburn: would you like to reach out to whikloj/JHU/others wrt to Dec support of reviews of fcrepo-camel-toolbox, or can I help?
<ajs6f>awoods: There are reasons that I will get interested in new kinds of impls in the later spring.11:03
<awoods>ajs6f: that would be great. What sort of reasons, if I may ask?
<ajs6f>awoods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeVQzTVyLk
<acoburn>awoods: yes, I can reach out to others for this11:05
<awoods>acoburn: I see the best case scenario being that others contribute, the second best be that Amherst moves the toolbox forward itself in the context of fcrepo, and the worst being that Amherst moves the toolbox forward under separately from fcrepo.11:07
<acoburn>awoods: I agree with all of that11:08
<awoods>acoburn: <except the grammar>11:09
<bseeger>awoods, acoburn, ajs6f, anyone else: I'd be happy to be another maintainer of the camel code11:12
<acoburn>bseeger++11:13
<ajs6f>bseeger++
Always good to see more yankees riding camels.11:14
<awoods>bseeger: that is helpful. Please send a PR the README: https://github.com/fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#maintainers
<ajs6f>There doesn't appear to be a devs section in that pom. I would think that would be a good thing.11:16
<acoburn>ajs6f: I agree11:17
* github-ff joins11:18
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] bseeger opened pull request #117: Adds bseeger as maintainer (master...update-readme) https://git.io/v1c5g
* github-ff leaves
<ajs6f>Let's file an issue to do that OH WAIT THERE ARE NO DEVS TO WHOM TO ASSIGN THAT ISSUE
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo-camel-toolbox] ajs6f pushed 2 new commits to master: https://git.io/v1c5a
fcrepo-camel-toolbox/master 48f1dce bseeger: Adds bseeger as maintainer
fcrepo-camel-toolbox/master ff7ed4a A. Soroka: Merge pull request #117 from bseeger/update-readme...
* github-ff leaves
* ajs6f leaves11:20
* github-ff joins11:23
[fcrepo-camel] bseeger opened pull request #138: Adds bseeger as maintainer (master...update-readme) https://git.io/v1cdO
* github-ff leaves
* ajs6f joins11:24
* github-ff joins11:25
[fcrepo-camel] ajs6f pushed 2 new commits to master: https://git.io/v1cFL
fcrepo-camel/master 09e8320 bseeger: Adds bseeger as maintainer
fcrepo-camel/master 9f1272e A. Soroka: Merge pull request #138 from bseeger/update-readme...
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins11:28
fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel#329 (master - 9f1272e : A. Soroka): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel/compare/276dac7b5616...9f1272e0b7d5
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel/builds/180754933
* travis-ci leaves
* travis-ci joins11:31
fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel-toolbox#301 (master - ff7ed4a : A. Soroka): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/compare/2a7c46a3a0ae...ff7ed4a59d02
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4-exts/fcrepo-camel-toolbox/builds/180752747
* travis-ci leaves
<ajs6f>whikloj_AFK: the last commit from Dan Davis to trippi-sparql should have the changes for your issue11:33
* kestlund joins
* th5 joins11:40
<ajs6f>The coffeeshop is playing Toto's Africa. Actually a pretty good song, once you get past the sheen of ironical distance that coats it now.
<acoburn>awoods: regarding the idConv issue — if I don't get a PR finished by the end of next week, I'm going to give up on this11:42
<ajs6f>awoods: Did you see that acoburn did this: https://fcrepo.github.io/fcrepo-specification/ ?
<acoburn>awoods: it's taken up way too much time, and I have other things that need work
<ajs6f>acoburn: That will make you and barmintor who have both given up.
That really says something nasty about our product.
<acoburn>ajs6f: yes, and that alt-impl thing — well, like barmintor, I'd be starting from scratch11:43
<ajs6f>like barmintor and (probably) like me
rescue us, Greg Jansen!
<acoburn>ajs6f: yes — the code is just WAY too tangled
<ajs6f>we need Drastic action
<acoburn>ajs6f: drastic, indeed
<awoods>acoburn: Are you just giving an update on your refactoring effort? or suggesting something about the IdConv release timeline?11:45
<acoburn>awoods: that was some additional information that I didn't want to add to that message
awoods: namely, if I don't finish by next week, feel free to go ahead with the 4.7.1 release11:46
awoods: and have dbernstein proceed with his improvements
<awoods>acoburn: based on what you are seeing, do you anticipate next week will allow you enough time?11:47
<acoburn>awoods: possibly — I have 10 failing integration tests, mostly related to versioning
awoods: as of right now, there are 1411 insertions and 1303 deletions11:48
<awoods>acoburn: that is not surprising... considering our use of the JCR versioning model.
<acoburn>awoods: and the JCR versioning model concerns me, largely because I don't understand it11:49
<ajs6f>awoods: That is going to be the largest chunk of immediate work that comes out of the spec effort— completely reworking the versioning API
<acoburn>reworking the versioning API++11:50
<awoods>acoburn: I suspect those insertions and deletions represent some excellent refactoring. It would be awful to see that go to waste.
<ajs6f>we need a new version of the concept of version
<acoburn>awoods: I agree, it's also over 100 hours of work
<awoods>ajs6f++
<ajs6f>We greenfielded Fedora 4 because we couldn't work on the tangled code base of Fedora 3 any more. It's great to see that we've gotten that far again in _much_ less time this go 'round.11:51
augering_it_in++
<awoods>acoburn: What can any of us do to help... besides stop distracting you on IRC?11:52
<acoburn>awoods: not sure — but if I _don't_ finish this I can also push the branch and turn it over to someone else11:53
<awoods>acoburn: true, but if you don't finish it... that does not bode well for it being finished.11:54
<acoburn>awoods: I agree
* kestlund leaves11:55
* kestlund joins11:59
* th5 leaves12:02
* coblej leaves12:05
* th5 joins12:10
* youn joins12:11
* ajs6f leaves12:17
<bseeger>ruebot: is the default output format for the import-export tool turtle? we should put that info in the README.
ruebot: okay, I know the default is turtle.12:18
<whikloj>bseeger: ruebot is AWOL, I believe he and his wife are exploring NYC
bseeger++ : Turtle is a good choice
<bseeger>whikloj: oh, cool! Thanks for the info12:19
<awoods>bseeger: Updating the README to reflect the defaults would be helpful
<bseeger>awoods: I'll add it to my todo list. Do we need a JIRA ticket for that or can I just offer a PR?12:20
<awoods>bseeger: My position is that JIRA tickets are never bad, but READMEs can often be updated without them.
<bseeger>awoods: okay, thanks12:23
* mikeAtUVa leaves12:28
* dhlamb joins12:36
* dwilcox joins12:43
* willtp87 leaves
* apb18 joins12:48
* dwilcox leaves12:55
* dwilcox joins13:03
* apb18 leaves13:06
* coblej joins13:07
* kestlund leaves13:10
* ajs6f joins13:16
* th5 leaves13:23
* kestlund joins13:31
* dwilcox leaves
* ajs6f leaves13:32
* bseeger leaves13:33
* dwilcox joins13:34
* ajs6f joins
* ajs6f leaves13:35
* kestlund leaves13:42
* dwilcox leaves14:09
* kestlund joins14:15
* bseeger joins14:33
* anarchivist leaves14:34
* anarchivist joins14:41
* youn leaves14:54
* kestlund leaves15:14
* coblej leaves15:41
* coblej joins15:42
* coblej leaves15:46
* coblej joins15:58
* bseeger leaves16:09
* teny80 joins16:59
* coblej leaves17:01
* teny80 leaves17:04
* bseeger joins17:13
* bseeger leaves
* acoburn leaves17:22
* whikloj leaves17:43
* peichman leaves17:48
* dwilcox joins17:50
* dwilcox_ joins17:55
* dwilcox leaves17:59
* dhlamb leaves18:05
* peichman joins22:07
* peichman leaves22:09
* f4jenkins joins23:12

Generated by Sualtam