Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* manez joins04:51
* manez leaves04:55
* manez joins05:51
* manez leaves05:56
* manez joins06:52
* manez leaves06:57
* dwilcox joins07:39
* manez joins07:53
* manez leaves07:57
* manez joins08:00
* manez leaves08:30
* coblej joins08:35
* acoburn joins08:42
* dhlamb joins08:43
* manez joins
* coblej leaves08:56
* cmmills joins08:57
* youn joins08:58
* youn leaves08:59
* coblej joins09:00
* bseeger joins09:05
* coblej leaves09:29
* coblej joins09:30
* peichman joins09:45
* amccarty joins09:48
<ruebot>awoods: ping09:50
* osmandin joins
<awoods>ruebot
<ruebot>awoods: your perf/scale mentioned the next meeting was two days before the meeting that just occured :-)09:51
* osmandin_ joins
<ruebot>awoods: shall i change https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2016-09-24+Performance+-+Scale+meeting t0 https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2016-10-24+Performance+-+Scale+meeting
<awoods>ruebot: of course, thanks.09:53
<ruebot>awoods: two more things if you have a sec
<awoods>ruebot: go for it09:54
* osmandin leaves
* osmandin_ leaves09:55
<ruebot>awoods: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2050 -- can we marked that closed; resolved with phase 1 of import/export sprint?
* osmandin joins
* mikeAtUVa joins
<awoods>ruebot: definitely09:56
<ruebot>awoods: last one; https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2199 -- can we mark that one resolved too?09:58
<awoods>ruebot: re:https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2199 , I would like to test it. Once I confirm your observation, I will close it. Thanks for keeping an eye on these tickets.10:00
<ruebot>awoods++
* coblej leaves10:04
* coblej joins10:05
* ajs6f joins10:07
barmintor: What's the difference between HTTP response codes 403 and 401?10:08
<awoods>ajs6f: is that a joke?10:13
<ajs6f>awoods: I asked barmintor.
awoods: I have other questions for you.10:14
<awoods>ajs6f: I believe barmintor is in meetings until noon.
<ajs6f>awoods: Then we will just have to wait for the exciting conclusion.
This is an actual headline in the local paper today; "Clown sightings grow in Virginia, police urge care ."10:16
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/state/clown-sightings-grow-in-virginia-police-urge-care/article_ac14bc96-84cf-11e6-930c-1fd1e958482c.html
Quote: "While clowns in the area haven’t injured anyone, LeVeck said no one can predict what might happen in the future…"
<ruebot>"403 substatus error codes for IIS"10:20
<ajs6f>afk bbs10:23
* ajs6f leaves
* osmandin leaves10:24
* mohamedar joins10:27
<ruebot>awoods: where did that requirement come from?10:28
<awoods>ruebot: see wiki history... TomC
<ruebot>awoods: ah
<barmintor>ajs6f: 401 - this is restricted and I don't know who you are
ajs6f: 403 - I know who you are and you can't see this
<awoods>ajs6f: This is where you give the punchline10:29
* ruebot dying with anticipation10:30
<awoods>barmintor: although, I think you missed the cue. ajs6f, was baiting you for, "I don't know, what -is- the difference between HTTP response codes 403 and 401?""10:32
<barmintor>oh but this is such a popular question. I think it's in a FAQ for our developers somewhere even. I forget all the time.10:33
* whikloj joins10:40
<barmintor>awoods: did you want me to branch 4.6.0-maintenance or the release tag?10:59
* thomz leaves11:04
<awoods>barmintor: 4.6.0-maintenance, please.11:08
barmintor: I will send out the workshop email as soon as I get your feedback.11:09
<barmintor>awoods: that's exactly what I had in mind. I had a cancellation today, so I'm trying to squeeze some things in11:10
<awoods>barmintor: nice. I'm standing by.11:11
* bseeger leaves11:32
* github-ff joins11:33
[fcrepo4] awoods closed pull request #1105: Exclude internal (jcr, mode) prefixes from namespace map (master...fcrepo-2244) https://git.io/vPefx
* github-ff leaves
* cmmills leaves
<whikloj>acoburn: That Vary: Accept is part of the getContent, in case that makes a difference
https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-http-api/src/main/java/org/fcrepo/http/api/ContentExposingResource.java#L18911:34
<acoburn>whikloj: thanks!11:35
<whikloj>acoburn: As for that Vary: Prefer, I'm not clear what Rob was seeing when he opened the ticket as cbeer added that header in 2014
<acoburn>whikloj: no idea
<whikloj>acoburn: yeah11:36
https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-http-commons/src/main/java/org/fcrepo/http/commons/domain/PreferTag.java#L134
<acoburn>whikloj: maybe the fact that there are two Vary headers produced?
<whikloj>acoburn: maybe
acoburn: The Vary: Accept will not appear on non-GET responses, is that important?11:37
<acoburn>whikloj: no, that's expected
<whikloj>acoburn++
<acoburn>whikloj: Vary is used by caching proxies
whikloj: and caches shouldn't be caching non-GET requests
<whikloj>acoburn: That's what I thought, but I didn't want to have you remove your work and find I didn't understand the problem correctly11:38
<acoburn>whikloj: I'm going to just remove the Vary field part from the PR
<whikloj>acoburn: okay
<acoburn>whikloj: that just leaves the addition of JSON-LD to the list of Accept-Post values11:40
<whikloj>acoburn: which worked as expected
* dbernstein joins11:41
* coblej leaves
* coblej joins11:47
* peichman leaves11:49
* peichman joins11:50
* coblej leaves11:52
* travis-ci joins11:53
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#4709 (master - 6ed2fff : Aaron Coburn): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/48010a20a136...6ed2fff424b4
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/163440768
* travis-ci leaves
* dhlamb leaves11:54
* osmandin joins11:55
* coblej joins11:56
* coblej leaves12:01
* coblej joins12:02
* bseeger joins12:04
* coblej leaves12:06
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo4] whikloj pushed 1 new commit to master: https://git.io/vPfxr
fcrepo4/master 8e7752d Aaron Coburn: Update HTTP Headers in response (#1103)...
* github-ff leaves
* coblej joins12:08
<whikloj>acoburn: Seeing as you did not touch the Content-Length part of FCREPO-1882, should I close that ticket or set it back to...Open?12:14
<acoburn>whikloj: ask awoods12:15
<whikloj>awoods: ^^ ??
<acoburn>whikloj: awoods: related to the "remove jcr.Session from the kernel-api" I now have the fcrepo-kernel-api and fcrepo-kernel-modeshape modules compiling and passing all unit and integration tests12:16
ajs6f will be pleased
<whikloj>acoburn++ # Nice work
<awoods>whikloj/acoburn: compound ticket are tricky that way. I would suggest closing fcrepo-1882, noting that the Content-Length item was not addressed in the PR but is being track with this new JIRA ticket (that needs to be created).12:18
<whikloj>awoods: Ok, I'll do that
<acoburn>whikloj++
<awoods>whikloj++
whikloj: please make Rob Sanderson the reporter of the new ticket.
<whikloj>awoods: will do12:19
<awoods>acoburn: re:jcr.Session, wow.
* osmandin leaves
<acoburn>awoods: wait until you start reviewing the PR…
awoods: I've changed nearly 1000 lines and only hit two modules (the main ones, though)12:20
<awoods>acoburn: which may be after next week's hydra connect. sigh
<acoburn>awood: I'm hoping to be done this week, but I admit that's pretty ambitious12:21
* coblej leaves
<acoburn>awoods: 40 files changed, 932 insertions(+), 998 deletions(-)12:22
<awoods>whikloj: thanks for adding the "is related to" link in the new ticket. https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-2248
* coblej joins
<whikloj>awoods: no problem, should I also close FCREPO-188712:23
I think it is only related to the JSON-LD header
<awoods>whikloj: it would be nice if Diego would verify that the now current functionality addresses his issue. Can you reach out to Diego? It is not clear that he receives JIRA notifications.12:25
<whikloj>awoods: I can, but he is out today. So I'll let this sit for now.
<awoods>whikloj: ok, thanks.
whikloj: please also add a link to the commit when closing https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-1882... typically with a comment like: "Resolved with <commit-URL>"12:27
* coblej leaves
<whikloj>awoods: I had that, in there....not sure what happened. I'll add it
* coblej joins12:29
* dhlamb joins12:30
* travis-ci joins12:31
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#4711 (master - 8e7752d : Aaron Coburn): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/6ed2fff424b4...8e7752d111c7
Build details : https://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/163450478
* travis-ci leaves
* coblej leaves12:33
* coblej joins12:35
* coblej leaves12:39
* coblej joins
* ajs6f joins12:42
ruebot:awoods: Might be fun to stick this http://allegrograph.com/gruff2/ inside the vagrant thing as an alterantive to the Fuseki query editor.12:43
ruebot:awoods: I mean, for some weird and faintly creepy value of the wor "fun".
barmintor: 'fraid not. The difference is 2.12:44
* ajs6f leaves
<awoods>ajs6f: That's what I'm talking about.
ajs6f: Gruff2 could be interesting. I wonder what it's installation process looks like and memory footprint. Have you experimented with it?12:46
* youn joins12:47
* dwilcox leaves
<ruebot>https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/McGruff.jpg12:48
* mikeAtUVa always thought it was ironic that McGruff lived in Chicago.12:49
* coblej leaves12:51
<barmintor>ajs6f: I get it.12:56
* coblej joins12:58
* dwilcox joins13:10
* acoburn leaves13:48
* acoburn joins13:54
<peichman>slightly OT, but does anyone know of a mailing list or IRC channel for the Loris IIIF image server?
<ajwagner>peichman: The closest thing I know is the [IIIF-Discuss] mailing list.13:58
<peichman>ajwagner: thanks, I'll check that out13:59
<awoods>peichman: scroll to the bottom of: http://iiif.io/community/14:02
* mikeAtUVa leaves14:33
* bseeger leaves14:40
* ajs6f joins14:54
* coblej leaves15:14
<ajs6f>coburn: Heard you're kicking jcr.Session in the teeth. Cool.15:19
* osmandin joins
<whikloj>ajs6f: I believe acoburn stated he was there to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and something about bubblegum stocks being low15:26
<ajs6f>For those who are too young to remember the power and the glory that was Rowdy Roddie Piper, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKdHuyQpHY15:28
* youn leaves15:29
<acoburn>ajs6f: yes, I'm pretty far along — the http-api is the last big module to update
<ajs6f>acoburn++ @ G-dspeed
<acoburn>ajs6f: I substantially re-worked how sessions are handled, collapsing Transaction TxSession and jcr.Session into a single FedoraSession interface15:30
<ajs6f>acoburn: Cool. We've talked about that guy. I do think that in the end, it's more of a "transaction" than a "session", but let nothing and no qualm stop you. SWING THE AXE LIKE CONAN!15:33
<acoburn>ajs6f: yeah, that was basically the idea — a session _is_ a transaction. I tried to avoid using the word "Transaction", but I'm certainly not tied to the name FedoraSession15:36
<ajs6f>acoburn: In another day or two, we will discuss this like civilized people; drinking tea and enjoying the sunset sitting on top of a giant mound of the dead bodies of the JCR classes you have slain.15:38
acoburn: I think we need to look at whether we expect the kernel-api to support non-HTTP originated interaction. That's a question for more than just we two.
<ruebot>acoburn++15:43
* dhlamb leaves
* bseeger joins15:47
* acoburn leaves15:55
* bseeger leaves15:57
* acoburn joins16:23
ajs6f:awoods: this won't be part of the jcr.Session PR, but most of the http-api unit tests should be re-worked — there is no need to mock the entire jcr world when interacting with a mocked service16:27
there's a lot of code in there that can be removed
IMO, the _only_ jcr code that should be part of the http-layer test code should be in the spring config16:28
<ajs6f>acoburn: For ITs?
<acoburn>ajs6f: for unit tests
ajs6f: for ITs we use spring injection
ajs6f: we're mocking JCR stuff for the unit tests16:29
<ajs6f>acoburn: No, sorry, the only place we _should_ have JCR entanglement would be in the setup for ITs. Since we have no other impl right now.
<acoburn>ajs6f: I agree
* osmandin leaves16:30
<ajs6f>acoburn: Cool, cool.
acoburn: Yes, about unit tests, that makes all kinds of sense.
* ajs6f leaves16:34
* amccarty leaves16:49
* manez leaves16:57
* manez joins17:07
* dwilcox leaves17:11
* manez leaves17:33
* mjgiarlo leaves17:37
* acoburn leaves17:38
* mjgiarlo joins17:52
* peichman leaves17:55
* whikloj leaves18:00
* amccarty joins18:13
* mohamedar leaves18:30
* manez joins18:34
* manez leaves18:38
* manez joins19:34
* manez leaves19:39
* manez joins20:35
* manez leaves20:40
* manez joins21:36
* manez leaves21:41
* manez joins22:37
* manez leaves22:41
* amccarty_ joins23:12
* amccarty leaves
* amccarty_ leaves23:19
* manez joins23:38
* manez leaves23:42
* manez joins00:38
* manez leaves00:44
* manez joins01:39
* manez leaves01:43
* manez joins02:40
* manez leaves02:44
* thomz joins02:59
* manez joins03:41
* manez leaves03:46