Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* dwilcox joins01:50
* dwilcox leaves02:09
* dwilcox joins03:12
* dwilcox leaves03:18
* dwilcox joins03:58
* acoburn joins04:34
ruebot: good morning04:37
<ruebot>acoburn: hola. you good on your end?04:38
<acoburn>ruebot: yes audio is working well
<ruebot>acoburn: excellent!
<acoburn>I don't think I can broadcast audio05:01
it seems that with hangouts-on-air, I can only listen. do you know if that's correct?05:03
<ruebot>i think that makes sense. that's why we did skype/regular google hangout for the hylandora day in CT.05:04
do you want me to be your voice?
<acoburn>sure, but I don't have much to add at this point05:06
<ruebot>cool. ping me when you do, and i'll try my best :-)05:07
<acoburn>I'm interested in #2 and #5, but I'm not sure how well I can participate05:13
ruebot: ^^^05:14
<ruebot>acoburn: cool.05:24
acoburn: i should pay closer attention
<acoburn>ruebot: JCR is a spec, it won't change05:42
<ruebot>acoburn++
<acoburn>ruebot: it involves making requests to multiple nodes07:06
ruebot: and deciding what "consensus" means07:07
<ruebot>acoburn: yeah
* ruebot waits to interject07:09
<acoburn>ruebot: yes, in a clustered env07:12
ruebot: you can have a multi-master, self healing system, but it's complex, and IRC isn't the forum to discuss it07:14
<ruebot>acoburn++07:18
* acoburn leaves07:39
* dwilcox leaves07:42
* dwilcox joins08:19
* dwilcox leaves09:01
* kat3_drx joins09:05
* dwilcox joins09:06
* acoburn joins09:08
* dwilcox leaves09:09
* kat3_drx leaves09:13
* dwilcox joins09:31
* peichman joins09:50
* peichman leaves09:56
* peichman joins09:57
* kat3_drx joins10:09
* kat3_drx leaves
* th5 joins10:12
* whikloj joins10:24
* dwilcox leaves10:31
* mgibney joins11:06
* bseeger joins11:09
* dwilcox joins11:19
* ajs6f joins11:20
We need to remember, when we get rid of the export/import endpoints, to get rid of the fedora:exportsAs triple.11:21
Does anyone know what the fedora:writeable property means? Is that concerned with authZ?
<ruebot>ajs6f: https://github.com/fcrepo4/ontology/blob/a83bb0b7f609f71b56b8218de423c65731808923/repository.rdf#L60211:25
that?
<ajs6f>ruebot: Yup
ruebot: Our documentation and commenting in that ontology really help.
<ruebot>ajs6f++11:26
<ajs6f>Random undefined claims about the world --
<ruebot>ajs6f: definitely could use a rdfs:comment
<ajs6f>ruebot: Do you know what would go in that comment? What is the semantic of that predicate?11:27
<ruebot>ajs6f: https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/blob/42c89b88bb00e57c013720144f234f42bbab7bb7/fcrepo-http-commons/src/main/java/org/fcrepo/http/commons/responses/ViewHelpers.java#L192
<ajs6f>ruebot: Whoa, I can totally see you across the room. I would pass you a note, but Esme might catch us.
<ruebot>ajs6f: is that good enough for a rdfs comment?11:28
<ajs6f>ruebot: No, that tells us that if such a triple is present, we can do something in the UI (presumably offer some editing blanks or something). I'm wondering why that triple is or is not present to begin with. What does it mean? On what basis is it generated or not generated? I guess I need to look at the code. I hate when I have to look at the code.11:29
<ruebot>ajs6f++11:30
<whikloj>ajs6f: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/n/projects/684825/stories/65899330
ajs6f: https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/commit/485183693832271ee8581ae4c67275eb78fca303
* dwilcox leaves
<ajs6f>I'll go do that and report back. If I make it back. Going into the Fedora code base has been the end of many a better person than I.
<ruebot>ajs6f: you'd know better than me. i think i _might_ have a single core commit. ...and that was helping acoburn with stuff.
whikloj: whikloj!11:31
* acoburn leaves
<whikloj>ruebot: morning or evening
<ajs6f>whikloj++ # nice detective work, and thanks for saving me from having to do anything useful.
whikloj: Late afternoon here.
<ruebot>whikloj++++++
<whikloj>awesome, listening to the meeting....does it actually run for 3 1/2 hours!!11:32
<ajs6f>I will send a PR to that ontology with a comment to that predicate. Thanks, whikloj!
<ruebot>whikloj: esme is on stage, diego is asking questions. my work is done for the day.
ajs6f++
<whikloj>ajs6f++
<ajs6f>whikloj: You've been on tech calls with awoods. You know how it goes.
<ruebot>whikloj: yup. it ran 9-12:30
whikloj: first hour is introductions i _think_11:33
<whikloj>wow, I'm sleepy already. Also good of you all to sit to the sides so the center of the screen is mostly empty.
45 minutes of intros
<ruebot>whikloj: wait until awoods migrates right in front of it. he might sit right in front of it for a while.11:34
<whikloj>ruebot: lol
* github-ff joins11:37
[ontology] ajs6f created ClarifyWritable (+1 new commit): https://git.io/voCln
ontology/ClarifyWritable 5354f96 A. Soroka: fedora:writable has unclear semantics...
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins
[ontology] ajs6f opened pull request #39: fedora:writable has unclear semantics (master...ClarifyWritable) https://git.io/voClW
* github-ff leaves
<ajs6f>whikloj: The most exiting part is when barmintor comes in late. The whole scene just comes alive then.
<whikloj>ajs6f: ...and that ^^ is a clearer comment to you?11:38
<ajs6f>whikloj: It is _precise_.
<whikloj>ajs6f: sorry I missed your intro...did you attend?
<ajs6f>whikloj: And it is definitely clearer than no comment at all.
<ruebot>nononono!
the best part is when ajs6f comes in. music start magically playing!11:39
<whikloj>ajs6f: fair point, I've read it 7 times and I'm still not sure what it means. But that's cause I be a slow learner
<ruebot>ben comes in with about 10-15 minutes to go.
<ajs6f>ruebot: No magic. I had to do a lot of work to hack into the presetnation system for that.
<ruebot>ajs6f++
<whikloj>ajs6f: you had a kazoo with you?
or the great gazoo?11:40
<ajs6f>whikloj: It's true that the best soundtrack for Fedora is a kazoo/banjo duet.
Okay, ruebot on stage, time to start throwing things.11:41
<whikloj>ruebot++ # For teaching Canadian geography and where I work11:42
<ruebot>whikloj: i have to have at least one commit in a spec as committer, don't i?
<ajs6f>First lesson in Canadian geography: Canada is bigger than your country. No, no: a _lot_ bigger. No, you're still not getting it. It's a whole new kind of bigger that is specific to Canada.11:43
<whikloj>ruebot: Not required as far as I understand it.
<ruebot>whikloj: and! alberta is hydra ... booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :-P
<ajs6f>ruebot: Yeah, but they have to live in Alberta, so who's losing and who's winning here?11:44
<ruebot>ajs6f++ #texaberta
<ajs6f>ruebot: You should here some of my meaner jokes about Saskatchewan.11:45
diegopino is teaching me to always bring my own sharpies.11:46
<ruebot>ajs6f: rob sanderson does that iirc
* dwilcox joins
<ajs6f>ruebot: starts drawing diagrams with air?11:47
<ruebot>ajs6f: s/air guitar competition/air modelling competition/g11:49
* peichman leaves11:50
<ajs6f>ruebot: How about air modeling accompanied by air guitar?11:51
ruebot; If nothing else, it would be amusing to watch.
Why does all of diegopino's fruit look like birds?11:52
* peichman joins
<ruebot>ajs6f: wait until you see the lobsters11:53
<whikloj>ajs6f: I finally understand it, woohoo 18th time is the charm11:55
<ajs6f>Fedora 4: Wait 'til you see the lobsters!
whikloj: That's a lot better than I usually do. Usually I give up at some point.11:56
<whikloj>don't bogart our lobster metaphors
<ajs6f>whikloj: Sorry, it's a few minutes to five here, and I'm only just now starting to realize that I'm not going to have any beer for quite a while yet.11:57
<whikloj>ajs6f: I thought the conference was sponsored by beer?! Now I don't feel as bad about missing it.11:58
<ajs6f>whikloj: WHERE IS THIS BEER CONFERENCE AND WHY AM I NOT THERE NOW?!
<whikloj>ajs6f: washington11:59
ajs6f: http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/
<ajs6f>whikloj: OMG. That is only a short train ride from me at home. I am going to have to throw the kids into my wife's lap and go.12:00
<whikloj>ajs6f++
<ajs6f>whikloj: I'm no craft brewer, just a humble homebrewer, but there has got to be a massive amount of good beer in a place like that.
* bseeger leaves12:01
<whikloj>ajs6f: and people proud to show you how good it tastes
OR 2017 should be on April 8-10 and in Washington I think
<ajs6f>whikloj: In the leadership team meeting yesterday, there was a lot of discussion about at what confs and events to represent Fedora. I now know the answer to that question.12:02
<whikloj>ajs6f++ # ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY
<ruebot>ajs6f: another homebrewer!?12:07
<ajs6f>ruebot: Aye (although not beer: cider and fruit wines. If I am honest, _terrible_ fruit wines.)12:08
* bseeger joins
<ajs6f>ruebot: and lots of non-alcoholic stuff, kvass and russel and berry sodas and things.
* dwilcox leaves
<ruebot>ajs6f: cooool! i've tried a cider couple times.12:09
ajs6f: and did a wine with one of my brewing buddies. diego makes his own wine too.
<ajs6f>ruebot: Central Virginia is a celebrated apple-growing region.
<ruebot>ajs6f: ah, yeah. that totally makes sense.
<ajs6f>ruebot: Yeah, the climate and geography are right.12:10
ruebot: And people are starting to plant the old sharp cidering apple varieties again, which is cool. Post-WWII, a lot of the orchards went over to sweet dessert varieties for the national market.
ruebot: Although small timers like me can't yet get their hands on much of that. The local commercial cideries are first in line, which is cool.12:11
ruebot: We'll have to share a bottle of Potter's sometime (the best of our local boys, I think(.12:12
<ruebot>ajs6f: definitely!
<whikloj>ruebot: I expected the music when ajs6f entered the room, but the lights and show girls caught me off-guard12:13
<ajs6f>whikloj: That's not me, that's just a thing about Ireland. That happens all over.
ruebot: Do you know what version of Fedora diegopino is using? It's full of JCR triples. I thought we had got rid of most of those...
I KNOW we got rid of the "mixinTypes" triple!12:14
whikloj: You should see the show when Michael HIggins, the Irish president, enters a room.12:15
whikloj: it's like Riverdance on acid.
* github-ff joins
[ontology] whikloj pushed 1 new commit to master: https://git.io/voCuY
ontology/master 18b528f Jared Whiklo: Merge pull request #39 from fcrepo4/ClarifyWritable...
* github-ff leaves
<whikloj>ajs6f: So if you and he enter a room at the same time, do children and the elderly just fall into comas that only a liberal dose of Guiness can cure?12:16
<ruebot>ajs6f: oh, that's probably 4.3.0 ... i built that future.islandora.ca last october
<ajs6f>whikloj: I hope not. He _is_ pretty elderly. I'd hate to imagine him getting danced over and trampled.12:17
ruebot: Oh, that's cool then.
<whikloj>My favorite part is when everyone chooses to take a break instead of volunteer for the versioning spec.12:22
ajs6f: DID YOU WEAR A FEDORA?
<ajs6f>whikloj: That's a Pendleton. It's different, although admittedly the difference is subtle. It's more like an 'Indiana Jones" hat, with a soft crown and brim.12:26
<whikloj>ajs6f: I think you need to be on the next Fedora album cover
<ajs6f>whikloj: I do not wear a fedora except with a suit. It's a semi-formal hat.
* acoburn joins12:27
<ajs6f>whikloj: Also, this sad trend of wearing a fedora with casual clothing really disgusts me.
disgusts and angers.
<whikloj>ajs6f: see the difference between us is I wouldn't know a Pendleton was a hat if you hadn't just told me12:28
<ajs6f>whikloj: That is _one_ difference, yes. Also, if you came to my house and kissed my wife and cuddled my kids, the reaction would be different than we'd get if _I_ did that.12:29
<whikloj>ajs6f: and depending on if you'd just ditched them for the beer conference12:30
<ajs6f>whikloj: Hm.
* arebenji` joins12:45
* ajs6f leaves12:48
* dwilcox joins12:55
* bseeger leaves13:24
* acoburn leaves13:36
* bseeger joins
* bseeger leaves14:14
* mgibney leaves14:25
* acoburn joins14:30
* bseeger joins14:44
* peichman leaves14:57
* peichman joins15:01
* acoburn leaves16:01
* kat3_drx joins16:17
* kat3_drx leaves16:19
* dwilcox leaves16:23
* arebenji leaves16:33
* peichman leaves16:35
* dwilcox joins16:39
* peichman joins16:44
* kefo joins16:59
* peichman leaves17:25
* bseeger leaves17:30
* th5 leaves17:41
* dwilcox leaves17:46
* whikloj leaves18:01
* kefo leaves18:22
* peichman joins19:04
* peichman leaves19:27

Generated by Sualtam