Log of the #fcrepo channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* jrgriffiniii leaves03:18
* jrgriffiniii joins03:21
* jrgriffiniii leaves03:45
* dwilcox joins08:35
* dwilcox leaves08:45
* whikloj joins08:59
* jackhill leaves
* jackhill joins09:01
* jrgriffiniii joins09:03
* jcoyne joins09:04
* dwilcox joins09:10
* rbenji joins09:13
* acoburn joins09:24
* bseeger joins09:30
* peichman joins09:45
* peichman1 joins09:58
* peichman leaves09:59
* awoods joins10:13
* th5 joins10:45
* barmintor joins10:52
awoods: I made a fairly substantial edit to the versioning proposal yesterday, but I think it's not surprising.10:53
<awoods>barmintor: awesome... I will give it a look. Is there anything you would like to highlight here?10:55
<barmintor>awoods: Basically I realized that some of the conversation was because it wasn't clear what the difference between a Memento and the original resource was in the earlier draft, and10:57
<awoods>barmintor: in the future, making "edits" in "suggestion mode" makes it easier to see the diffs.
<barmintor>awoods: I also realized that some of the disagreement was not really relevant to the normative part of the spec, but discoverable implementation via existing LDP behaviors.
<awoods>those who are interested: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wpEVG3fNUYWNSmNdNIwTHEujhg-CAQf3hLKszfjpNO4/edit?usp=sharing10:58
<barmintor>awoods: I also sent Rob S an email about a couple of Memento and LDP questions that are relevant, but hopefully he'll chime in via broader forum later this week10:59
<awoods>barmintor: thanks, this is helpful.11:00
<barmintor>awoods: I think it makes it clearer that clients that want to fetch versions don't need to care about where they came from, only where to find them11:01
awoods: and that different version-minting mechanisms are supportable if the client acknowledges the response headers11:02
<awoods>barmintor: are you suggesting we punt on defining how versions are created?11:05
<barmintor>awoods: not exactly- I'm suggesting that version creation in this spec is like TimeGate location in the Memento spec11:06
<awoods>barmintor: for interoperability across Fedora API implementations, we have to give guidance on the interaction model for version creation, no?11:07
<barmintor>awoods: I don't think we do, actually.11:08
awoods: I think we need to give guidance on the implications of implementation patterns we recognise, but I dont think we need to mandate one as long as those patterns are discoverable11:09
<awoods>barmintor: agreed, we need to define discoverable patterns, however.
<barmintor>awoods: +1, and there's some information there in the non-normative section towards the end that is the minting use case 1 and 2 from the earlier draft11:10
<awoods>barmintor: you are hinting a version creation with section 6.7. However, that is a very distant hint.11:15
* whikloj_ joins11:16
<barmintor>awoods: right, that's the kind of thing I mean. In the non-normative section I should make clearer that LDP-Cv with Accept-Post means the client has minting responsibility
or at least suggests the client has minting responsibility11:17
* whikloj leaves11:19
<awoods>barmintor: should an OPTIONS request on an LDP-Cv indicate that POST or some other mechanism provides the version creation capability?11:20
<barmintor>awoods: I would suggest that OPTIONS including POST means clients mint versions, OPTIONS only including GET, HEAD, OPTIONS means server mints versions11:22
<awoods>barmintor: that sounds reasonable... and it could even go in the spec ;)11:23
* barmintor goes to edit the doc again
* acoburn leaves11:27
* acoburn joins11:33
* bseeger leaves11:34
* peichman1 leaves11:43
* acoburn leaves11:44
* peichman joins11:46
* jcoyne leaves12:36
* jcoyne joins12:46
* acoburn joins13:07
<barmintor>dwilcox: do yopu happen to know if the OR registration includes workshops?13:10
<dwilcox>barmintor: Yes it does http://or2016.net/registration-submissions-2/13:14
<barmintor>dwilcox: ok, thanks!13:15
* bseeger joins13:28
* jrgriffiniii leaves14:46
* peichman leaves14:59
* peichman joins15:01
<ruebot>awoods: versioning call; i keep forgetting to tell you diego and i will be at the islandora camp next week. whikloj is going to try his best to make it so that there is at least one CLAW person there.15:30
awoods: sorry about the pcdm too. i totally facepalmed that :-(
<awoods>ruebot: thanks, without an Islandora representative, I do not think it makes sense to have the Versioning call.15:32
<ruebot>awoods: let me ping whikloj again15:33
<whikloj>I'm here
<ruebot>awoods: oh, nvm. he filled it out this morning.
<whikloj>yep
<ruebot>whikloj++
<awoods>The versioning call requires at least one: islandora rep, hydra rep, barmintor, ajs6f, ideally:RobS./TomJ.15:34
<ruebot>awoods: should we expand the poll to the following week?15:36
<awoods>Maybe Tues at 2 or 3 makes the most sense.
<ruebot>awoods: i might be to my hotel by 3pm, and theoretically could be on the call.15:37
awoods: i land at 1:24PM EST
<awoods>ruebot: that would be great... if possible.
<ruebot>awoods: then you'd get a whikloj and ruebot!
<awoods>barmintor: can you reach out to Rob re:3pm on Tues April 3rd?
<barmintor>awoods: I can try!15:38
<ruebot>awoods: diego is coming from chile, and not sure when he gets in.
awoods: i might be on my first tech call in about two months on thursday if my 10am meeting ends on time :-)15:40
<awoods>the return of the ruebot!
<ruebot>maaaaaaaaaaaaybe15:41
* peichman leaves16:14
* peichman joins16:34
* dwilcox leaves16:48
* th5 leaves16:58
* rbenji leaves17:01
* jcoyne leaves17:12
<ruebot>awoods: i don't think that revert worked; https://github.com/duraspace/pcdm/blob/master/models.rdf17:20
* acoburn leaves17:23
* jcoyne joins17:25
* bseeger leaves17:40
* whikloj leaves17:44
* github-ff joins17:51
[fcrepo4] acoburn opened pull request #1028: Fix ETag handling for Binaries and Binary descriptions (DEV...fcrepo-1983.2) https://git.io/vwzD3
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo4] acoburn closed pull request #1024: Fix ETag handling for Binaries and Binary descriptions (master...fcrepo-1983.2) https://git.io/vwYHu
* github-ff leaves
* peichman leaves18:07
* jcoyne leaves18:39
* jcoyne joins18:40
* dwilcox joins18:48
* jcoyne leaves18:57
* jcoyne joins19:36
* dwilcox leaves19:37
* dwilcox joins19:47
* jcoyne leaves20:02
* jcoyne joins20:56
* jcoyne leaves21:16
* jcoyne joins21:23
* dwilcox leaves21:45
* jcoyne leaves21:51