Log of the #duraspace-ff channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* dwilcox joins06:52
* dwilcox leaves07:27
* dwilcox joins07:29
* dwilcox leaves08:04
* awead joins08:27
* dhlamb joins08:28
* mikeAtUVa joins08:34
* acoburn joins09:04
* dwilcox joins09:08
* aawoods_ joins09:09
* ksclarke joins09:10
* MohamedAR joins09:11
* MohamedAR leaves09:12
* acoburn leaves09:18
* osmandin joins09:25
* dwilcox leaves09:28
* awead leaves09:31
* ajs6f joins09:34
* dwilcox joins09:35
* dwilcox leaves09:36
* mikeAtUVa leaves09:39
* github-ff joins09:41
[fcrepo4] escowles pushed 1 new commit to event-file: http://git.io/veapL
fcrepo4/event-file 3066035 Esmé Cowles: Using FedoraEvent logic to trim property names from node paths, adding IT demonstrating only a single event is emitted when content node is added
* github-ff leaves
* awead joins09:42
* acoburn joins09:44
* github-ff joins09:48
[fcrepo4] escowles pushed 1 new commit to event-file: http://git.io/veVee
fcrepo4/event-file 5f2b221 Esmé Cowles: Removing unused regex
* github-ff leaves
* travis-ci joins09:52
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#3535 (event-file - 3066035 : Esmé Cowles): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/6ff5e6e3c2ef...3066035c31fd
Build details : http://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/57483640
* travis-ci leaves
<f4jenkins>Project fcrepo-camel build #233: UNSTABLE in 1 min 49 sec: http://jenkins.fcrepo.org/job/fcrepo-camel/233/09:53
Project fcrepo-module-auth-rbacl build #567: UNSTABLE in 2 min 56 sec: http://jenkins.fcrepo.org/job/fcrepo-module-auth-rbacl/567/09:56
Yippee, build fixed!10:04
Project fcrepo-camel build #234: FIXED in 2 min 8 sec: http://jenkins.fcrepo.org/job/fcrepo-camel/234/
Yippee, build fixed!10:07
Project fcrepo-module-auth-rbacl build #568: FIXED in 3 min 6 sec: http://jenkins.fcrepo.org/job/fcrepo-module-auth-rbacl/568/
* github-ff joins10:12
[ontology] escowles created audit-ontology (+1 new commit): http://git.io/veVt9
ontology/audit-ontology ed8adc8 Esmé Cowles: Adding ontology for audit event types
* github-ff leaves
<f4jenkins>Yippee, build fixed!
Project fcrepo4-release-tests build #154: FIXED in 1 min 15 sec: http://jenkins.fcrepo.org/job/fcrepo4-release-tests/154/
* github-ff joins
[ontology] escowles opened pull request #24: Adding ontology for audit event types (master...audit-ontology) http://git.io/veVqt
* github-ff leaves
* acoburn leaves10:24
* awoods leaves10:34
* barmintor joins10:38
* jcoyne joins10:45
Where is the vagrant box code?
I don't see anything here: https://github.com/fcrepo4/
<escowles>jcoyne: https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo4-vagrant10:46
<jcoyne>Can you add a link to the release docs?
escowles: thanks
* awoods joins10:47
<jcoyne>awoods: can you add issues on this repo: https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/fcrepo4-vagrant10:48
<osmandin>ajs6f: Do you want to tackle FCREPO-1411 or are you looking for the related sub-task (i.e., creating a test)?10:49
<ajs6f> osmandin: The latter— but I wasn't going to do anything with it unless you are actually going to work on it. I have plenty of other things to do.10:51
<osmandin>ajs6f: Sure. I haven't heard anything from the committer list yet (besides your +1). I'll ask again on the list, and if there's more interest, I'll assign the sub-task to you. Does that work?10:54
<ajs6f>osmandin: That's fine. I'd prefer to say that we're waiting on lazy consensus (no veto means go ahead) but in any event, I'll wait for you.
<escowles>awoods ermadmix: my standup report: put in revised PR for suppressing duplicate events for content creation/removal, and added a simple ontology for event types we're adding to the PREMIS ones10:55
ermadmix: do you want to talk about the fixity event PR?10:56
<ermadmix>excowles: yes, hangout?10:57
<woods>jcoyne: done11:00
<escowles>ermadmix: sure - ready when you are
* awoods leaves11:06
<escowles>ermadmix: i did check out the rss module, and it does use the eventBus for tracking events11:20
i kind of doubt people would want to track every fixity event, but it does seem like a good pattern to keep publishing events to the eventBus so things like that keep working11:21
<ermadmix>escowles: OK, will keep the eventBus pattern.11:23
* awoods joins11:24
<osmandin>afk11:38
* mikeAtUVa joins11:50
<ajs6f>ermadmix/escowles: Yes, please use the event bus. That's what it's there for. If you think that we only need to publish _some_ events to each ultimate output, then we need a filtering mechanism.12:13
<ermadmix>ajs6f: ok will do12:14
* osmandin leaves12:19
* osmandin joins12:20
<ajs6f>escowles/ermadmix: At what point did we decide that emitting fixity events directly from the repo was needful, anyway? Did we consider the approach of letting the external machinery (presumably some Camel gear) make fixity requests as needed and injecting the results into the audit event stream?12:48
<escowles>ajs6f: ermadmix: it's not really specified either way -- but my thinking is that if we are promoting an event-based audit system, then the repository should emit events for the audit events it is involved in, rather than have each event processor have to handle that12:50
<ajs6f>escowles: Hm. I can see that, but I'm a little weirded out by the fact that every other kind of event represents some actual change in the state of the repo. That's why the indexing listeners could simply respond to every event. Now this fixity event is different. That's why you remarked (rightly, I think) that it would be surprising if people wanted to retrieve fixity events from RSS. I'm not sure we're really dealing with things that 12:52
<awoods>ajs6f: we own #fcrepo12:53
<ajs6f>awoods: Yay! At long last.
<escowles>ajs6f: i think the problem is that successful fixity checks are no big deal, but fixity failures are recognizing a (unwanted) change in the repository, so in that way they are similar to the other events that result from changes12:54
<ajs6f>escowles; Hm. Interesting point. Do events represent _intentional_ change in the repo, or _any_ change? If they are timestamped, and we choose the latter, we lie, because the timestamp of a fixity check event cannot be the actual time that the (unwanted) change took place, except by the most outrageous luck.12:55
<escowles>ajs6f: good point, unless the fixity check itself is corrupting the content...12:56
<ajs6f>escowles: So the semantics of timestamping gets a god deal but subtle, very quicly.
escowles: If our fixity check corrupts the content, we should all just go home. And yes, I know that it certainly can happen, especially with tape.12:57
<escowles>ajs6f: well, the timestamp is for the fixity check, the corruption event is inferred from the fixity check failure
<ajs6f>escowles: Right, and it was the corruption event that actually represents the change in the repo, and it was never even emitted at all.
It's "virtual".
escowles: To be clear, I'm not totally against fixity events. I'd just like to understand very fully what we're doing to the semantics of eventing if we offer them this way.12:58
awoods: Do we want to begin moving over to #fcrepo?
awoods: Not this instant, but soon.12:59
afk bbs
<awoods>on a call13:00
* f4jenkins joins18:41
* dhlamb joins20:06
* escowles leaves20:57
* ksclarke joins21:09
* terrellt leaves21:47
* terrellt joins21:48
* pivotal-bot_ leaves21:49
* pivotal-bot_ joins
* dhlamb leaves22:58
* awead leaves23:18

Generated by Sualtam