Log of the #duraspace-ff channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* scossu leaves01:13
* scossu joins01:15
* ksclarke leaves01:26
* scossu leaves01:48
* scossu joins03:49
* scossu leaves03:57
* scossu joins05:53
* scossu leaves06:02
* yinlin leaves08:19
* dhlamb joins08:33
* dwilcox joins08:57
* jcoyne joins09:02
* jcoyne leaves09:09
* awoods leaves09:20
* mikeAtUVa joins09:32
* osmandin joins09:35
* awoods joins09:36
* acoburn joins09:44
* ajs6f joins09:57
* scossu joins10:14
* jcoyne joins10:18
awoods: Solr is now being distributed as a standalone (not a war file). I wonder if the Fedora project has considered something like this (bundling Jetty). Would that be easier to support than "any servlet container".10:34
<awoods>jcoyne: I take it that the standalone Solr bundles jetty?10:36
<jcoyne>Yes
<ajs6f>jcoyne: That's what the "one-click" package is.
A war + Jetty included.
<jcoyne>ajs6f: ah-ha.
<ajs6f>jcoyne: We could probably be a little more flexible with that.
<jcoyne>I was afraid that would bill my Amazon account ;)10:37
<awoods>jcoyne/ajs6f: exactly, but it has been advertised for experimentation vs. production.
<ajs6f>jcoyne: We do that with Ceml.
Camel.
awoods: I think, generally, that forcing people to think about their container structure isn't a bad thing for production uses.
<jcoyne>ajs6f: but it is a barrier to entry.10:38
<awoods>jcoyne: I believe you are using the "one-click" in your Travis config, no?
jcoyne: --headless
<ajs6f>jcoyne: How is a recommendation a barrier? People are free to ignore it, if they so choose.
<jcoyne>awoods: I think it's just the war file.
ajs6f: Because they have to "think about the container structure"
<awoods>jcoyne: the one-click is packaged as a war
<ajs6f>jcoyne: No, they don't. We are suggesting that they do, but no one is coming to their site and stopping them from deploying the "one-click" package in production.10:39
<jcoyne>awood: Maybe that is what is confusing. I didn't understand from looking this page https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Downloads what download I should use.10:40
<ajs6f>This sounds like a job for…. DOCUMENTATION!
<jcoyne>ajs6f: no, it sounds like web design.10:41
<ajs6f>jcoyne: How is web design" involved here?
<awoods>jcoyne: what, specifically, did you find confusing about the downloads... so I can change it.
<jcoyne>the information should be presented in a clear way, in the place it's needed, not buried on another site.
<ajs6f>jcoyne: Sounds like documentation to me.
<jcoyne>awood: what is the difference between "war" and "one-click-war"10:42
ajs6f: just so long as you don't say "It's on the wiki"
ajs6f: that's not a helpful location.
<awoods>jcoyne: the one-click is bundled with jetty
<ajs6f>jcoyne: I normally just snort, spit, and stare off into the distance.
<jcoyne>awoods: where does it say that?
<ajs6f>jcoyne: It's awoods
<jcoyne>awoods, ajs6f: this kind of stuff is probably invisible to everyone else here, because you're more involved and know where to get what you want.10:43
I'm still a bit of an outsider
<ajs6f>jcoyne: I have no real knowledge of the wiki and wouldn't know where to tell you to find anything.
<awoods>you will always be an insider, jcoyne10:44
<jcoyne>awoods: The only insider who has no idea what is going on.
heh
<awoods>jcoyne: thanks for the tip on clarifying the downloads page. I also think it is confusing that the F4/jetty-bundled artifact is a war...10:45
<jcoyne>Yes! To me a bash script / .bat file would be best.10:46
<awoods>mikeAtUVa/dhlamb: Did you two meet last week? any plans?
jcoyne: +1
<jcoyne>I can't really speak from the windows perspective
<ajs6f>jcoyne: That would find to provide additionally, but it's that much more OS-specific stff to maintain, so I'd like to keep the "self-running" nature of the war.
s/find/fine/10:47
<jcoyne>ajs6f: yes, but many other projects do it, so it's not an insurmountable issue
<mikeAtUVa>awoods: yup.10:48
<ajs6f>jcoyne: No, I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm saying we shouldn't stop making the "self-running" war. Can you send a PR with those scripts?
<jcoyne>ajs6f: I'll get cbeer to do it ;)
<ajs6f>jcoyne: Works for me.10:49
<awoods>mikeAtUVa: what was the outcome?
<mikeAtUVa>awoods: we spoke for a while.... he was able to test the code I'd written so far. I would keep developing, perhaps specifically an XSLT piece to convert DC and RELS-EXT to XML-serialized RDF properties that could be posted to fedora 4... I'd be available for the coming weeks as-needed to refactor any code I'd written to better support the camel framework.
<awoods>mikeAtUVa: would you mind seeing a message go by the fedora-tech list asking for such progress/details?10:51
<mikeAtUVa>awoods: seeing a message go by? You want to rehash this brief exchange on the mailing list? I suppose I don't mind. Whatever you think would help with community engagement.10:53
* dwilcox leaves11:19
* dwilcox joins11:21
* acoburn leaves11:26
* github-ff joins11:28
[fcrepo-message-consumer] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/AK8D
fcrepo-message-consumer/master 5d6d9dc osmandin: Add transform property locator logic...
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins11:29
[fcrepo-message-consumer] awoods closed pull request #77: Add transform property locator logic (master...1370) http://git.io/Ac4G
* github-ff leaves
* ksclarke joins11:37
* github-ff joins11:43
[fcrepo4] awoods pushed 2 new commits to master: http://git.io/AK2T
fcrepo4/master a196f1f Yinlin Chen: Reduce Sonar major issues...
fcrepo4/master dccda20 Andrew Woods: Merge pull request #735 from yinlinchen/fcrepo-1337...
* github-ff leaves
* awead joins11:53
* travis-ci joins11:59
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#3429 (master - dccda20 : Andrew Woods): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/6f0bc44cf537...dccda20f82ad
Build details : http://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/51852761
* travis-ci leaves
* scossu leaves12:00
* acoburn joins12:02
* scossu joins12:10
* awead leaves12:38
* jcoyne leaves12:40
* jcoyne joins
<acoburn>awoods: ping12:46
<awoods>acoburn
<acoburn>awoods: isn't the fedora-committers list private?
awoods: and if voting is conducted there, it doesn't really follow the "apache way"12:47
awoods: which is what I thought the project was trying to follow
awoods: in apache, the way things work is "if it didn't happen on the (public) dev list, it didn't happen"
<awoods>acoburn: it is private, but voting on design does not seem like something that needs to be behind cover.12:48
<acoburn>awoods: it'd kind of like a pmc voting on a release on their private list
<awoods>acoburn: I including sending to fedora-committers to ensure the committers saw the email.
acoburn: I include sending to fedora-committers to ensure the committers saw the email.
acoburn: I includee sending to fedora-committers to ensure the committers saw the email.12:49
acoburn: I included sending to fedora-committers to ensure the committers saw the email.
* awead joins
<acoburn>awoods: got it, as long as the votes are public, I'm happy
<awoods>acoburn: no votes have yet come solely to the private list.12:50
<acoburn>awoods: thanks
<ajs6f>acoburn: I take your point, and in this case, I agree with you, but it's worth pointing out that we aren't actually an Apache project, and we don't have to do things just so. I'm not particularly inclined to any private voting, but I can think of some situations where it would be a handy tool.13:31
<acoburn>ajs6f: there are a lot of cases where private voting is really useful, but not when the the proposal is public and non-committers are encouraged to vote13:34
<ajs6f>acoburn: Sure, and if that was the content of your comment, fine. I took it to be objecting to private voting, period.13:35
<acoburn>ajs6f: no I'm all for private voting in certain cases
<ajs6f>acoburn: Cool.
acoburn: Now I'm going to privately vote on whether I should take a break.13:37
* ajs6f Disappears
* ajs6f Reappears
The results are in, and I get a break.
afk
* awoods leaves13:39
* awoods joins13:42
* dwilcox leaves13:48
* github-ff joins14:10
[fcrepo4] ajs6f force-pushed Java8 from cb21626 to e8c4a5e: http://git.io/F98X
fcrepo4/Java8 88351f2 ajs6f: Step to Java 8
fcrepo4/Java8 4c00c1d Aaron Coburn: updated travis-ci configuration
fcrepo4/Java8 c32be58 ajs6f: Removing obsolete PermGem flag
* github-ff leaves
* jcoyne leaves14:11
* dwilcox joins14:12
* travis-ci joins14:24
fcrepo4/fcrepo4#3430 (Java8 - e8c4a5e : ajs6f): The build passed.
Change view : https://github.com/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/compare/cb21626b3954...e8c4a5e9b8e5
Build details : http://travis-ci.org/fcrepo4/fcrepo4/builds/51872900
* travis-ci leaves
* acoburn leaves14:30
* acoburn joins14:45
* acoburn leaves15:36
* ajs6f leaves15:37
* ajs6f1 joins15:39
* ajs6f1 leaves15:45
* ajs6f joins15:47
* dwilcox leaves15:49
* jgpawletko joins16:07
* dhlamb leaves16:11
* scossu leaves16:15
* scossu joins16:20
* acoburn joins16:33
* github-ff joins16:48
[fcrepo4] yinlinchen closed pull request #736: Fcrepo 1333 (master...fcrepo-1333) http://git.io/Acyx
* github-ff leaves
* ajs6f leaves
* osmandin leaves16:52
* mikeAtUVa leaves
* acoburn leaves17:04
* scossu leaves18:45
* ksclarke leaves18:48
* fcrepo-bot joins19:20
* jcoyne joins20:16
* dwilcox joins20:22
* fcrepo-bot leaves20:30
* dhlamb joins20:54
* dwilcox leaves21:12
* ksclarke joins21:45
* scossu joins23:22
* jcoyne leaves23:37
* dhlamb leaves00:04
* jcoyne joins00:09
* jcoyne leaves00:13
* scossu leaves00:24

Generated by Sualtam