Log of the #duraspace-ff channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* ermadmix leaves05:27
* ermadmix joins05:29
* ermadmix leaves06:33
* ermadmix joins06:43
* ermadmix leaves07:15
* ermadmix joins07:22
* ermadmix leaves07:53
* ermadmix joins08:12
* ermadmix leaves08:44
* kaarefc leaves09:02
* ermadmix joins09:09
* ajs6f joins09:15
<awoods>cbeer: If you want to give a swing at Jersey 2, that would be great. As ajs6f said, the main technical blocker is Metric's dependency on Jersey 1. Otherwise, the only blocker is the refactoring that will be required for the testing framework and InjectedSessions.09:28
<ajs6f>awoods: Is the metrics thing still an issue? That last I hear about it was months ago.
<awoods>ajs6f: Yes, I just looked last week.09:29
<ajs6f>phoo
<awoods>ajs6f: https://github.com/codahale/metrics/blob/master/metrics-jersey/pom.xml09:34
<ajs6f>I see that they expect 1.x. The question is, will it _work_ with 2.x? Has anyone tried?09:35
awoods: We ought to do some kind of auditing functionality sometime.
<awoods>ajs6f: agreed
ajs6f: are you interested in pulling together a strawman of what the user would expect out of such a functionality?09:36
<ajs6f>awoods: nope, because I have absolutely no idea. I have never used the fcrepo<4 audit for any but the simplest task.09:37
<awoods>ajs6f: I wanted you to feel welcomed.
<ajs6f>awoods: eddies wrote a module that just recieved logging events and relogged them. I don't even know if that's a useful approach.
<awoods>ajs6f: eddies just takes events and writes them to slf4j logs09:38
<ajs6f>awoods: Right.
<awoods>ajs6f: escowles then started an approach of writing to a database
<ajs6f>awoods: Is that enough? I have no idea.
awoods: Not the persistence, the events.09:39
awoods: Is there enough info in the event stream to qualify as an audit trail.
<awoods>ajs6f: I think for the audit to be useful, the user needs to be able to query the repository for useful info.
<ajs6f>awoods: For example?
<awoods>ajs6f: exactly
ajs6f: The starting point is pulling together that strawman of "for example"09:40
<ajs6f>"Positively, Mister Gallagher? Absolutely, Mister Shean!"
* ksclarke joins
<awoods>ajs6f: we should support queries against a single object as well as across multiple objects in the repo.09:41
<ajs6f>awoods: We do
SQPARQL or LDPath.
<awoods>ajs6f: "which objects have been modified in this data range?"
<ajs6f>(and obviously the JCR query languages, once we expose an endpoint as we discussed a week ago).
<awoods>date range
<ajs6f>awoods: The JCR query could do that now. Otherwise, we have no other repo-wide query system in the core.09:42
(Even tho' cbeer keeps trying to make the core a big OWL kbase. {grin})
<awoods>ajs6f: A very early step is determining what useful audit functions the user wants...09:43
<ajs6f>awoods: Yes, I think we've agreed on that three times now in this conv alone.
* osmandin joins
<ajs6f>Hence: "Positively, Mister Gallagher? Absolutely, Mister Shean!"
Shall I make you a ticket?
<awoods>ajs6f: with our advisors and the existing use cases, that should not be too difficult.
ajs6f: please
* kaarefc joins09:44
<ajs6f>awoods: gragjansen should be on that.
<awoods>ajs6f: on what? audit?
<ajs6f>awoods: His PREMIS-management system made heavy use of audit, and he can bring the real-life to the conv.
<awoods>ajs6f: I am sure gregjansen would like some fresh air from the AuthZ work.09:45
<pivotal-bot>A. "Senphitic" Soroka added "Find out what "audit" means." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59976568
<ajs6f>awoods; Who wouldn't? No one likes to spend time figuring out new ways to say "no" to people.09:46
<awoods>ajs6f: that is probably true... let me mull on it.
<ajs6f>Is that right?09:47
<awoods>probably
<ajs6f>Is it "mull over"? Isn't it usually "mull on"? And who gets to decide this sort of thing, anyway.
awoods: What's the best documention for an HTTP REST API your've ever seen?09:48
<awoods>ajs6f: personally, I am vaguely partial to the DuraCloud docs.
<ajs6f>awoods: I'd say you are specifically partial, for specific reasons.09:49
<awoods>ajs6f: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DURACLOUDDOC/DuraCloud+REST+API#DuraCloudRESTAPI-AllApplications
ajs6f: It would be good to get the dev team's respective favs.09:50
<ajs6f>awoods: Yes, that's why I asked.
awoods: Not bad at all. I prefer to break things down by endpoint and not function, but I don't know if that is common preference.09:51
awoods: Is that just a wiki doc?
* kaarefc leaves
<awoods>ajs6f: are you talking about the duracloud docs?
<ajs6f>y
* jcoyne joins
<awoods>ajs6f: yes, it is just wiki work
<ajs6f>awoods: we may have to do just that, but I'd like to see if we can get some of this drawn from the Java.09:52
<awoods>ajs6f: that would be ideal
ajs6f: stepping away...
<ajs6f>awoods: cbeer once investigated a build tool that promised same (enunciate) but I don't know if we ever got it working perfectly.
It did work to some extent and the results looked good.
<awoods>ajs6f: that may be a starting point09:53
<ajs6f>cbeer: ping?
* kaarefc joins09:54
* nbanks joins10:06
* barmintor joins10:07
* kaarefc leaves10:08
* github-ff joins10:24
[fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable] yecao opened pull request #11: Add solr indexer to webapp (master...addSolrIndexerToWebapp) http://git.io/oljxtw
* github-ff leaves
* github-ff joins10:27
[fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable] yecao closed pull request #10: changes that can reproduce httpmime lib missing error of indexer web app (master...httpmime) http://git.io/jZjPTQ
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Ye Cao added comment: "It is done. Please check https://github.com/futures/fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable/pull/11" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5745328010:28
Ye Cao finished "Wire and integration test Solr indexer into webapp" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/57453280
Ye Cao finished "Create user-facing documentation for Solr setup" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5745336010:30
* ermadmix leaves10:33
* github-ff joins10:34
[fcrepo4] ajs6f force-pushed AddingUnitTests from c135c37 to 7f3532a: http://git.io/QonwRw
fcrepo4/AddingUnitTests 7f3532a ajs6f: Minor improvements to unit testing
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Ye Cao added comment: "A link to wiki will be added as below: ""10:42
<li><a href="https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/solrIndexerSetup">Solr ..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/57453326
* ermadmix joins10:45
* ksclarke leaves10:51
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #360: SUCCESS in 1 min 39 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/360/10:56
Yippie, build fixed!11:03
Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #589: FIXED in 6 min 32 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/589/
* ksclarke joins11:08
* paparoach joins11:23
* paparoach leaves11:28
<pivotal-bot>Eric James added comment: "See "resolution 1" section of: ""11:32
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Design+-+Large+Files" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59511410
Eric James finished "ModeShape 3.6 FileSystemConnector performance" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5951141011:33
* tecoripa joins11:50
* tecoripa leaves11:59
<pivotal-bot>Nigel Banks added comment: "Pull Requests sent:" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5844060412:00
Nigel Banks added comment: "https://github.com/Islandora/tuque/pull/77
https://github.com/Islandora/islandora/pull/426
https://github.co..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/58440604
<nbanks>awoods: Would it mess up the sprint if I closed a bunch of the islandora tickets I've finished over the last few days?12:01
<pivotal-bot>Nigel Banks edited "Merge Tuque/Islandora/etc modules into the main 7.x branches." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/58440604
Nigel Banks added comment: "All tests are now passing" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5844014412:04
Nigel Banks added comment: "Tests are now passing" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5843983812:06
Nigel Banks added comment: "All tests are now passing" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/58439650
Nigel Banks added comment: "Doxygen is getting generated, need to ask Jonathan if it's sufficient" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5850704612:07
<cbeer>ajs6f: yeah, i spent time trying to do jersey 2.x yesterday. it'd be really nice if they published a12:09
"we renamed X to Y" doc
<ajs6f>cbeer: They did publish some migration docs. Not up to snuff?12:15
<cbeer>ajs6f: nope. it's mostly about the API changes
i'm trying to figure out, e.g. what jersey-core is
in jersey 2.x
<ajs6f>cbeer: There's a lesson in that for us, eh?
cbeer: Type name changes for Fedora 4: WE CHANGED ALL THE THINGS.12:16
cbeer: You mean the names of modules?
<cbeer>"don't even bother. just rewrite your stuff too!"
yep. i suspect it's jersey-container-servlet
<ajs6f>cbeer: That's not a good name.
<cbeer>yeah.. and in jersey 2.x, they split a bunch of stuff out.. so it may not even be a 1:1 mapping12:17
<ajs6f>cbeer: JAX-RS 2 was a major bag of changes.12:18
* ermadmix leaves12:44
<cbeer>ajs6f: i'm probably going to need your help figuring out the jersey test framework thing12:49
everything's change there, afaict.12:50
<ajs6f>cbeer: Good. Because we're probably going to figure out the jersey test framework thing
cbeer: They're expecting to work with CDI.
They aligned the lifecycles
cbeer: Shold I bring knives?
maybe a chef's and a filet?
<cbeer>ajs6f: i'd never say no.12:51
<ajs6f>k
<cbeer>ajs6f++
<ajs6f>Fedora 4: We come armed.
<cbeer>here's the other jersey 2.x thing i'm struggling with... where'd com.sun.jersey.core.util.Base64 go?
there's some oauth1 machinery with base64 powers
<ajs6f>no idea. why do we need to make Base6f?12:52
<cbeer>https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/blob/master/fcrepo-http-commons/src/test/java/org/fcrepo/http/commons/test/util/TestAuthenticationRequestFilter.java#L126
stupid reason, as far as i can tell.
<ajs6f>ooohhh.12:54
Maybe we can rely on our auth libraries?
<cbeer>ajs6f: sorry, rely on them for what?12:55
<ajs6f>base64
Or maybe there's an Apache Commons tool?12:56
<cbeer>yeah, there's something in commons-codec for it
and it's baked into jdk8
<ajs6f>c-codec for now. ANyone know when jdk7 is EOL? I can't wait to go on.12:58
Our JMS stuff is a little scary. The i-test…13:00
* nbanks leaves13:01
<cbeer>i hate IDEs.13:06
now to tackle injectable sessions :/13:09
<ajs6f>in Jersey 2? It should look almost the same.13:10
<cbeer>ajs6f: i thought injected sessions was the thing that was completely different (and, none of the jersey classes we're using exist any more..)13:14
<ajs6f>cbeer: I don't know about individual types, but I would guess that they have moved to JAX-RS packages.13:15
<cbeer>https://jersey.java.net/nonav/documentation/2.0/migration.html
doesn't that say to do it a different way?
(20.1.1)
<ajs6f>Oh, yeah. Oh, that's actually really cool. They're using HK2.13:18
That actually makes a huge difference to our wiring discussion. It makes HK2 way more of a leading contender.
* ermadmix joins
<cbeer>ajs6f: so, at the risk of asking a couple stupid question, which binding method should I choose, and where do I do it anyway?13:21
<ajs6f>cbeer: That's going to make migration a touch more difficult, but will get us to much better place.
cbeer: I'm no expert on HK2. I can take a look.13:22
<cbeer>thanks. i'll take a look at the test support thing, or punt on that and just keep on the brainless renaming of things
<ajs6f>cbeer: Nothing wrong with that, it's needful work. Given this HK2 news, I'm inclined to think that Jersey 2 is still a good priority, but that we might want to bring it into the discussion about wiring frameworks and talk it through a little this week.13:23
<cbeer>ajs6f: ok. i think getting to jersey 2 is a blocker for the async stuff.. or, we'd probably be fools not to try to get to jersey 2.x first13:24
<ajs6f>cbeer: right, makes sense. Here's a thing: our JAX-RS resources are currently Spring beans (not purely Jax-RS constructs).
So the answer to your question about _where_ to bind...13:25
may lie here:
https://hk2.java.net/spring-bridge/
Unless and until we move beyond SPring.
<cbeer>https://jersey.java.net/project-info/2.2/jersey/project/jersey-spring3/dependencies.html13:26
but i'm not sure what to make of https://java.net/jira/browse/JERSEY-2038
<ajs6f>cbeer: We don't use java config, do we?13:28
It's all wads of XML...
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods added comment: "Pull 11 has dependency conflicts. Please resolve." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5745328013:29
Andrew Woods rejected "Wire and integration test Solr indexer into webapp" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/57453280
<cbeer>works for me.13:30
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods accepted "Create user-facing documentation for Solr setup" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5745336013:38
* ermadmix leaves13:50
* ermadmix joins14:08
<pivotal-bot>A. "Senphitic" Soroka finished "Make unit tests better." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5935203414:17
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo4] ajs6f pushed 1 new commit to AddingUnitTests: http://git.io/nSmtZg
fcrepo4/AddingUnitTests 023ec12 ajs6f: Helpful extra cases
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods added comment: "Is there a branch or PR associated with this?" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5935203414:25
A. "Senphitic" Soroka added comment: "https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/pull/122" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5935203414:26
Osman Din added comment: "2nd draft :14:31
https://github.com/osmandin/fcrepo4/commit/86a29e7a42ad8c095841bfae46e250f024303585
todo: http-..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/54952244
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #361: SUCCESS in 1 min 3 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/361/14:33
Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #590: SUCCESS in 4 min 30 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/590/14:38
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods delivered "Make unit tests better." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5935203414:42
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo4] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/LYLSfw
fcrepo4/master 5b6ef11 ajs6f: Minor improvements to unit testing...
* github-ff leaves
* ermadmix leaves
* fcrepo-bot joins14:43
<pivotal-bot>A. "Senphitic" Soroka accepted "Make unit tests better." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5935203414:44
* ermadmix joins14:54
* travis-ci joins14:56
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#1103 (master - 5b6ef11 : ajs6f): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/55b7a0035a85...5b6ef11059ef
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/13377311
* travis-ci leaves
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #362: SUCCESS in 57 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/362/14:59
* jcoyne leaves15:03
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #591: SUCCESS in 4 min 45 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/591/15:04
* jcoyne joins
* github-ff joins15:22
[fcrepo4] awoods closed pull request #122: Adding unit tests (master...AddingUnitTests) http://git.io/WKrhXQ
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods added comment: "Resolved with: ""
https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/commit/5b6ef11059efb5be94222d7ac351625c52ee5226" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59352034
* ermadmix leaves15:38
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #363: SUCCESS in 1 min 19 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/363/15:39
Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #592: SUCCESS in 4 min 18 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/592/15:43
* github-ff joins15:44
[fcrepo4] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/Y0dxZQ
fcrepo4/master 0364678 ajs6f: Partial resolution #3 of https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59243236...
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>feature: Alter outward-facing contracts in fcrepo-kernel to expose new iterator-based machinery for RDF. (started) / owner: A. "Senphitic" Soroka
Andrew Woods added comment: "Another partial, interim update (3): ""15:45
https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/commit/03646784bff9c452737443d0ef72..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59243236
* github-ff joins15:46
[fcrepo4] awoods deleted RDFIterationForMutation3 at d602b52: http://git.io/wNt23w
* github-ff leaves
* fcrepo-bot leaves15:48
* ermadmix joins15:50
* travis-ci joins15:57
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#1104 (master - 0364678 : ajs6f): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/5b6ef11059ef...03646784bff9
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/13379895
* travis-ci leaves
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #364: SUCCESS in 1 min 3 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/364/16:01
<pivotal-bot>Osman Din added comment: "https://github.com/osmandin/fcrepo4/commit/da9408f5c262b74198867431806cbe1343498f4b" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5495224416:11
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #365: SUCCESS in 56 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/365/16:16
* jcoyne leaves16:47
* github-ff joins16:56
[fcrepo4] cbeer force-pushed ui-tweaks from 2bcab34 to 389edef: http://git.io/XNBwVw
fcrepo4/ui-tweaks 389edef Chris Beer: HTML template tweaks, because every repository deserves a mobile-friendly admin interface
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer started "Update UI to use bootstrap 3 (and be mobile friendly, why not!)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59864448
Chris Beer finished "Update UI to use bootstrap 3 (and be mobile friendly, why not!)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59864448
* jcoyne joins16:57
* jcoyne leaves16:59
* ajs6f leaves
* jcoyne joins17:00
* jcoyne leaves17:02
* osmandin leaves17:12
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #366: SUCCESS in 1 min 30 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/366/17:15
* jcoyne joins17:35
* ermadmix leaves17:37
* jongibson joins17:41
* jongibson leaves
* github-ff joins18:14
[fcrepo4] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/jUesbA
fcrepo4/master 54d6069 Andrew Woods: Merge pull request #130 from futures/ui-tweaks...
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods added comment: "Resolved." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59864448
Andrew Woods delivered "Update UI to use bootstrap 3 (and be mobile friendly, why not!)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/59864448
* jcoyne leaves18:23
* travis-ci joins18:26
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#1106 (master - 54d6069 : Andrew Woods): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/03646784bff9...54d6069a991a
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/13385660
* travis-ci leaves
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-fixity-corrupter build #367: SUCCESS in 1 min 6 sec: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-fixity-corrupter/367/18:34
* ksclarke leaves19:03
* ksclarke joins19:51
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods accepted "Update UI to use bootstrap 3 (and be mobile friendly, why not!)" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5986444819:59
* jcoyne joins20:06
* github-ff joins22:03
[fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable] awoods pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/01peXw
fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable/master fb27ec6 Andrew Woods: Fix project dependency conflicts...
* github-ff leaves
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods added comment: "Resolved with: ""
https://github.com/futures/fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable/commit/fb27ec696862d4edc1f928c08d2b1..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/57453280
Andrew Woods delivered "Wire and integration test Solr indexer into webapp" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/57453280
* travis-ci joins22:11
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable#28 (master - fb27ec6 : Andrew Woods): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable/compare/8d8c307be6d3...fb27ec696862
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable/builds/13391805
* travis-ci leaves
<pivotal-bot>Andrew Woods accepted "Wire and integration test Solr indexer into webapp" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/5745328022:12
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable] awoods closed pull request #11: Add solr indexer to webapp (master...addSolrIndexerToWebapp) http://git.io/oljxtw
* github-ff leaves
<bljenkins>Yippie, build fixed!22:18
Project fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable build #148: FIXED in 15 min: http://ci.fcrepo.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-jms-indexer-pluggable/148/
awoods: Fix project dependency conflicts
* jcoyne leaves22:31
* jcoyne joins23:24

Generated by Sualtam