Log of the #duraspace-ff channel on chat.freenode.net

Using timezone: Eastern Standard Time
* kaarefc joins03:02
* kaarefc leaves03:07
* kaarefc joins
* kaarefc leaves03:17
* kaarefc joins
* kaarefc leaves03:42
* kaarefc joins03:57
* kaarefc leaves04:03
* nbanks joins05:23
* kaarefc joins05:27
* eddies joins06:30
* eddies leaves
* eddies joins
* kaarefc leaves07:38
* ppound joins07:51
* kaarefc joins08:14
* anusha joins08:44
* kaarefc leaves09:09
* ppound leaves
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Update fixity and datastream location information for composite stores configurations" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4905742109:32
Chris Beer edited "Update fixity and datastream location information for composite stores configurations" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49057421
Chris Beer unstarted "Create an Auditor that stores events in a relational database" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4881653109:34
* kaarefc joins
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer unstarted "Investigate audit logging requirements" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48655201
Chris Beer unstarted "Copy node from federated filesystem to Infinispan cache in a cluster" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4833159309:35
Chris Beer unstarted "Islandora reporting for policy-driven storage" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48253899
Chris Beer unstarted "Remove crappy temp files that leak into the container directory" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4614232909:36
Chris Beer unstarted "Figure out the XA deadlock problem" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/47842075
Chris Beer unstarted "org.infinispan.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Unable to acquire lock after [10 seconds] " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/47758307
Chris Beer estimated "Update Rubydora to use the latest fcrepo4 http APIs" as 3 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48824721
Chris Beer accepted "Policy-driven storage strawman using mime types" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4857895109:37
Chris Beer edited "Policy-driven storage strawman using mime types" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48578951
* kaarefc leaves09:40
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Create a pleasing text/html representation for /fcr:describe with HATEAOS links to actions" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49011353
<cbeer>nbanks: ppound isn't on this sprint, right?09:41
<nbanks>I don't think so
I'll ask him09:42
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer unstarted "make islandora work with latest built of fcrepo4. " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48351401
<nbanks>ya he's not on this sprint
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer unstarted "Watcher for federated filesystem that triggers events" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/47380619
Chris Beer accepted "Create a REST endpoint for dynamically projecting files from a directory from a federated content as datastreams on..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4737377709:45
Chris Beer added "Update fcrepo-http-federation for new globbing path API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058049
Chris Beer added "Review fcrepo-http-federation and include it in kitchen sink if it looks useful" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058075
Chris Beer added "Add fcrepo-http-federation to jenkins" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4905816509:47
Chris Beer started "Add fcrepo-http-federation to jenkins" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058165
Chris Beer accepted "Add fcrepo-http-federation to jenkins" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058165
Chris Beer edited "Add fcrepo-http-federation to jenkins" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058165
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-http-federation build #1: FAILURE in 1 min 40 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-http-federation/1/
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer estimated "Batch retrieval API" as 5 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49008481
Chris Beer estimated "Transactions-enabled API" as 5 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4900920909:48
Chris Beer estimated "Add HTTP 1.1-friendly cache headers to our REST API responses" as 2 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/45458545
Chris Beer estimated "Add HTTP 1.1-friendly cache headers to our REST API responses" as 1 point https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/45458545
Chris Beer edited "Add Transactions support to Rubydora" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4901078109:49
Chris Beer estimated "RESTful error codes" as 3 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4891859509:50
Chris Beer edited "Update JMeter test to demonstrate starting a transaction, make changes, and commit the changes" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4901075709:51
Chris Beer edited "Make existing REST API transactions-aware" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49010571
Chris Beer edited "Ensure REST API supports workspace identifier prefixes by adding tests" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4901238909:54
Chris Beer edited "Batch retrieval API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4900848109:59
Chris Beer edited "Add POST /fcr:new request" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4895418110:00
<eddies>it's awfully quiet here on hangouts10:02
<cbeer>sorry, on my way.10:03
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "RESTful error codes" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4891859510:04
Chris Beer added "Clean up dead code in the fcrepo-kernel now that the http api is path oriented." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4905916110:05
Chris Beer edited "Clean up dead code in the fcrepo-kernel now that the http api is path oriented." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49059161
Chris Beer estimated "Clean up dead code in the fcrepo-kernel now that the http api is path oriented." as 2 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49059161
<eddies>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Use+the+REST+API10:09
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Update policy driven storage to move configuration from Spring into the JCR tree." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4905979910:14
Chris Beer edited "Update policy driven storage to move configuration from Spring into the JCR tree." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49059799
Chris Beer edited "Either fix PUT /rest/{path} (FedoraObjects#modifyObject) or kill the idea of object/datastream labels entirely." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49025839
Chris Beer edited "Update datastream and object responses to be path-oriented." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49023823
Chris Beer estimated "Either fix PUT /rest/{path} (FedoraObjects#modifyObject) or kill the idea of object/datastream labels entirely." a..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49025839
Chris Beer estimated "Update datastream and object responses to be path-oriented." as 2 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49023823
Chris Beer estimated "Update policy driven storage to move configuration from Spring into the JCR tree." as 3 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49059799
* barmintor joins10:20
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018910:21
Chris Beer edited "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49060189
* kaarefc joins
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018910:23
<barmintor>just lurking
(right?)
<pivotal-bot>A. "Reticulated" Soroka edited "Transactions-enabled API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4900920910:27
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49012389
<pivotal-bot>feature: Ensure REST API supports workspace identifier prefixes by adding tests (unstarted) / owner:
A. "Reticulated" Soroka edited "Move HTML templating to a JAX-RS entity provider" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48537379
A. "Reticulated" Soroka unstarted "Move HTML templating to a JAX-RS entity provider" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4853737910:28
* ajs6f joins
<cbeer>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+4+Core+vs+External+Functionality
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084510:31
<eddies>https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FCREPO/Supporting+the+Semantic+Web+and+Linked+Data10:32
<ajs6f>https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/MODE/REST+Service+3.x
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/MODE/REST+Service+3.x#RESTService3.x-5.Updateanodeoraproperty10:33
<barmintor>I'm adding some stuff to the hangout notes about this stuff10:39
<ajs6f>barmintor++
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084510:41
Chris Beer estimated "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" as 3 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084510:43
Chris Beer estimated "Propose a straw-man way to support whole-object versioning" as 3 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49013577
Chris Beer estimated "Review fcrepo-http-federation and include it in kitchen sink if it looks useful" as 1 point https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058075
Chris Beer estimated "Update fcrepo-http-federation for new globbing path API" as 1 point https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49058049
Chris Beer estimated "HATEAOS responses" as 5 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48919271
Chris Beer estimated "standardize on a common fcrepo4 prefix for things" as 1 point https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48922513
Chris Beer edited "standardize on a common fcrepo4 prefix for things" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48922513
Chris Beer edited "Propose a straw-man way to support whole-object versioning" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4901357710:45
* kaarefc leaves10:49
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Use nouns in the fcrepo-http-api sub-resources" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906241710:51
Chris Beer estimated "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" as 8 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084510:55
Chris Beer edited "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49060845
Chris Beer edited "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084510:57
Chris Beer added "Placeholder ticket for exposing JCR locking " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906318510:58
<barmintor>eddies: it's in the notes
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084510:59
<cbeer>http://www.mementoweb.org/11:00
http://www.mementoweb.org/guide/rfc/ID/
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "HATEAOS responses" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4891927111:07
Chris Beer edited "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49060189
<barmintor>https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/MODE/REST+Service+3.x#RESTService3.x-5.Updateanodeoraproperty11:11
<cbeer>eddies: after this discussion, i have a bunch of tickets I'd like to solicit comments and opinions on11:12
eddies: and then i think we should assign today's work
<eddies>cbeer: sounds good
<barmintor>there's also a kind of correspondence with default response = description and the way that handles/DOIs use11:18
dereferencing a handle tends to land you on a description of a resource11:19
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer added "Make a HTTP path-reference request return a "describe" response" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906487711:20
Chris Beer edited "Make a HTTP path-reference request return a "describe" response" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49064877
Chris Beer edited "Make a HTTP path-reference request return a "describe" response" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906487711:22
Chris Beer estimated "Make a HTTP path-reference request return a "describe" response" as 2 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49064877
<barmintor>we are consistently confusing now
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49012389
<pivotal-bot>feature: Ensure REST API supports workspace identifier prefixes by adding tests (unstarted) / owner:
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4895418111:23
<pivotal-bot>feature: Add POST /fcr:new request (unstarted) / owner:
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4879937711:25
<pivotal-bot>feature: Figure out how to best arrange IT in the globbing branch (unstarted) / owner:
Chris Beer edited "Figure out how to best arrange IT in the globbing branch" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4879937711:26
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49025839
<pivotal-bot>feature: Either fix PUT /rest/{path} (FedoraObjects#modifyObject) or kill the idea of object/datastream labels entirely. (unstarted) / owner:
Chris Beer edited "Either fix PUT /rest/{path} (FedoraObjects#modifyObject) or kill the idea of object/datastream labels entirely." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4902583911:28
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018911:29
<pivotal-bot>chore: Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong. (unstarted) / owner:
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4892251311:33
<pivotal-bot>feature: standardize on a common fcrepo4 prefix for things (unstarted) / owner:
Chris Beer added "Could we use JAX-RS context to inject an authenticated session" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906578311:34
Chris Beer edited "Could we use JAX-RS context to inject an authenticated session" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49065783
Chris Beer estimated "Could we use JAX-RS context to inject an authenticated session" as 2 points https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49065783
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4892251311:35
<pivotal-bot>feature: standardize on a common fcrepo4 prefix for things (unstarted) / owner:
A. "Reticulated" Soroka started "Could we use JAX-RS context to inject an authenticated session" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49065783
Chris Beer deleted "standardize on a common fcrepo4 prefix for things" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4892251311:36
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4905807511:37
<pivotal-bot>feature: Review fcrepo-http-federation and include it in kitchen sink if it looks useful (unscheduled) / owner:
<cbeer>https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49062417
<pivotal-bot>feature: Use nouns in the fcrepo-http-api sub-resources (unscheduled) / owner:
<barmintor>ajs6f: http://codahale.com/what-makes-jersey-interesting-injection-providers/11:38
<ajs6f>Sweet. Then I'll do an example of that for Session and call that ticket closed.11:39
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer started "Update LowLevelStorageService to be CompositeBinaryStore aware" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4883525111:40
<barmintor>ajs6f: in those circumstances that we expect a RO session, we should also use Session.spawnSession(true) to get it11:42
<ajs6f>barmintor: Okay, but let me see how you would logout the parent...
otherwise you're going to leak them.
<barmintor>ajs6f: you wouldn't, I don't think11:43
just clean it all up on the finish
<ajs6f>But if you only inject one session (the child) how do you clean up the parent?
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer delivered "Document the globbing REST api patterns" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4879946711:44
Edwin Shin accepted "Document the globbing REST api patterns" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48799467
Chris Beer edited "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018911:46
Edwin Shin edited "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018911:47
<ajs6f>barmintor: Hm, spawnSession() is a method in MODE's impl, but not defined by JCR. I think I need to check with them about the proper use of it...
<barmintor>ajs6f: I'm pretty sure it's for creating readOnly sessions, and for switching workspaces
both of which we will eventually need to do
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Make a HTTP path-reference request return a "describe" response" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906487711:48
<ajs6f>Yeah, I know what we want to use it for, I'm not sure about how to manage it. Does a spawned session have any continuing relationship with it's "parent"? If not, why even have the method.
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Promote fcrepo-object-serialization into the core fcrepo4 API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4891115311:50
Chris Beer edited "Update fixity and datastream location information for composite stores configurations" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4905742111:51
Chris Beer edited "Add Transactions support to Rubydora" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4901078111:52
Edwin Shin edited "Add transactions support to Tuque" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49010797
Chris Beer edited "PUT /rest/{path} endpoint" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49025839
Edwin Shin edited "make islandora work with latest build of fcrepo4. " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48351401
Edwin Shin edited "make islandora work with latest build of fcrepo4. " https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4835140111:53
<barmintor>cbeer: oh. I agree with this.11:56
<ajs6f>going for a bio-break, back in three
<barmintor>sorry, these ticket summaries keep opening in new windows, and I'm losing the hangout window in the shuffle :P
<pivotal-bot>Nigel Banks added "Update Tuque to support both Fedora 3 and 4 concurrently" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906743711:57
Nigel Banks edited "Update Tuque to support both Fedora 3 and 4 concurrently" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49067437
Chris Beer edited "Update datastream and object responses to be path-oriented." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49023823
Nigel Banks added comment: "Tuque wrapper needs to changes along with Tuque, to decorate the Tuque objects such that Drupal hooks can be..." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4835140111:58
Edwin Shin edited "HATEOAS responses" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4891927111:59
Chris Beer edited "HATEOAS responses" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48919271
Chris Beer edited "Create a pleasing text/html representation for /fcr:describe with HATEAOS links to actions" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/49011353
Chris Beer edited "RESTful error codes" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48918595
Edwin Shin edited "Propose a straw-man relationship management API" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906084512:00
Chris Beer edited "Move HTML templating to a JAX-RS entity provider" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/48537379
<ajs6f>back
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Add POST /fcr:new request" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4895418112:01
Chris Beer edited "Figure out how to best arrange IT in the globbing branch" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4879937712:02
<ajs6f>barmintor: How do we know when to inject a read-only Session? I don't think we do...12:16
<cbeer>ajs6f: does it matter?12:25
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer edited "Document the globbing REST api patterns" https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4879946712:26
<ajs6f>Yes, if we don't know, then I can't do it in my example, and the whole question about spawnSession is irrelavent.
I can't use it.12:27
But if we do, then I can use it and we have to understand when/how.
<cbeer>ah.. but this doesn't matter at the http api level, though, right? presumably all those sessions are auth'd (or auth'd as anonymous)12:32
<ajs6f>Right, true.12:33
Oh, I see what you mean.
_No_ readonly sessions. Only auth'n'd sessions.
Okay, that solves my problem.
<cbeer>i guess. or we can declare some classes read-only if we had to
though i'm not sure what those should be12:34
<ajs6f>Describe?
or rather, description?
<cbeer>yeah, except describing objects may have authz implications12:35
* kaarefc joins12:57
* kaarefc leaves12:58
* nbanks leaves13:04
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer started "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018913:05
<cbeer>ajs6f: how far are you on your thing? i'm about to touch the http-api and sessions stuff there and could try to avoid stomping on you13:07
* anusha leaves13:11
<ajs6f>I'm knee deep in the difference between
HttpRequestContext13:12
and
HttpServletRequest
Funfunfun!
I can stash and unload over any changes you make— go to work!
<cbeer>ok, full speed ahead13:14
i'm close to getting everything to compile
s/everything/fcrepo4/13:15
<ajs6f>COMPILE EVERYTHING!
* nbanks joins13:31
<cbeer>ok, through the generators now..13:38
<barmintor>I might be about to break the jenkins build
FYI13:39
<ajs6f>DO IT!
* nbanks leaves
<cbeer>ajs6f: ok, pushing my changes now.13:41
* ajs6f leaves
* github-ff joins13:42
[fcrepo4] cbeer pushed 2 new commits to master: http://git.io/vcfa1w
fcrepo4/master fe6f571 Chris Beer: update kernel to remove readonly sessions
fcrepo4/master c574b26 Chris Beer: update other modules to remove readonlySession support; always use an 'authed' session even on read-only tasks
* github-ff leaves
<cbeer>heading to the office.13:43
<barmintor>eddies: so I configured jenkins to explicitly run the cobertura plugin, and now I'm getting the JDK7 errors in the log that I got on the desktop13:47
so I need to figure out how to wedge a JAVA_OPT in there
<eddies>on a per-jenkins project basis or something to CATALINA_OPTS?13:48
or i dunno if jenkins has a site-wide config option
<barmintor>this for the JVM that the coberutra plugin runs in
I thought it could go in MVN_OPTS, but that didn't do the trick13:49
* ajs6f joins13:50
* nbanks joins13:51
<ajs6f>Does coberutra (why not Cobra Commander?) fork a process, or run inside the container?13:53
Jenkins usually forks to run a Maven build./
<barmintor>cobertura is just a maven plugin
so I think it runs in the same JVM executing mvn13:54
but I am obviously wrong in some way
<ajs6f>So it's probably a forked process, and you could use the Maven opts config option in Jenkins, right?
Oh, you're already doing that?
<barmintor>ajs6f: I thought so, but it's not working
<ajs6f>Damn that Cobra Commander! He's a master tactician.
<eddies>barmintor: you set it via Manage Jenkins -> Configure System and in the Global MAVEN_OPTS?13:55
<ajs6f>eddies: wouldn't that affect all the other builds? Wouldn't we rather do it in the config specific to our build?
<barmintor>eddies: I'm in jenkins/ff/fcrepo4/configuration : Build>Advanced>MAVEN_OPTS13:56
<eddies>yeah, but if it works…
<ajs6f>eddies: Yeah, okay. There aren't many other Maven builds on that service anyway.
<eddies>i think all the maven builds are ours13:57
<barmintor>on the plus side: sonar is actually running a "CoberturaSensor" now
<eddies>anyway, it might not work anyway, but worth a shot
cause the only other thing i can suggest is even more global, which is to add it to CATALINA_OPTS
<barmintor>Hmm… it loks like Sonar is re-running the cobertura task, so I might be able to wedge it into the Sonar opts13:58
<ajs6f>barmintor: "re-running"? What does that mean?
<barmintor>ajs6f: I set a sonar property to alert it to use non-default coverage reporting (cobertura vs jacoco), and now it appears to be running the cobertura task as part of the sonar post-build step13:59
ajs6f: I thought I had to run cobertura:cobertura in the build
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo4 build #498: UNSTABLE in 18 min: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo4/498/14:00
<barmintor>ajs6f: I was expecting sonar to just look for output
not run the task
<ajs6f>I am totally confused as to when/where Sonar is intervening.
* kaarefc joins
<ajs6f>Is it only examining the output of compilation?
<barmintor>ajs6f: Sonar just processes the reporting of whatever your coverage tool is14:01
<ajs6f>barmintor: Okay, so it has no independent definition of coverage…14:02
Good.
<barmintor>nope
<ajs6f>I think.
* travis-ci joins
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#453 (master - c574b26 : Chris Beer): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/8233045d6c1e...c574b2691d45
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/6794481
* travis-ci leaves
<ajs6f>Cause you were reporting confusion as to coverage metrics.
<barmintor>yeah, I'm not sure what we were getting before- maybe a kind of half-baked jacoco report14:03
<ajs6f>We need http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fridge_(G.I._Joe)#Fridge14:04
to defeat Cobra Commander.
But we're getting consistent metrics now?
<barmintor>this is more a Serpentor/Destro "defeat from within" kind of thing
<ajs6f>We have to become evil to defeat evil.
<barmintor>ajs6f: I haven't got the reports running yet
<ajs6f>Okay, so we'll find that out when we get the build running as we want it to run.14:05
<barmintor>you have to set a JAVA_OPT for cobertura to work in JDK7
ajs6f: yes, exactly
I'm sorry for being a nag about this, but if we're going to use Sonar I want to be able to use it's reports to find problems :P14:06
<ajs6f>Ooh, that's kind of wrong. You shouldn't have to set env variables to help tooling discover a fact that can be introspected. Oh, well.
If your Sonar is blind, you'll run into whales.
<barmintor>ajs6f: it's actually that cobertura can't parse the classes with the default format veirfier in JDK7
<ajs6f>Oh, so we're… waiting on a patch.14:07
<barmintor>it's a pretty static project
<ajs6f>Let's get involved with yet _another_ project!
<barmintor>we might as well wait for Christmas
<ajs6f>My wife always gives me a pile of preserved fish for Christmas. That's not a joke. That's real.14:08
But we have to get that env variable to Sonar, is the deal?
<barmintor>How is that different from the rest of the year?
ajs6f: yes, that is the deal
well, get it to whatever JVM cobertura runs in14:09
(this is easier with the Eclpise plugin :P)
<ajs6f>The rest of the year she just goes to her sewing room when I eat pickled fish. She says the smell makes her nauseous.14:10
Cobratura should be running in a forked process, and the config settings
for a given build _should_ allow us to give it that variable.
But clearly that doesn't work.14:11
I'm really wondering why...
Is there perhaps a global setting that governs whether Maven builds are forked or in-VM?14:12
Hm.. looking.14:13
<barmintor>dammit14:15
well, for the tests that run the coverage analysis is looking better :P14:18
<ajs6f>We can adjust our build tooling until our coverage is perfect!14:19
Stupid slow wifi. Still looking for a global setting about whether Maven builds are forked.14:20
<bljenkins>Yippie, build fixed!14:21
Project fcrepo4 build #499: FIXED in 20 min: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo4/499/
* Chris Beer: update kernel to remove readonly sessions
* Chris Beer: update other modules to remove readonlySession support; always use an 'authed' session even on read-only tasks
<ajs6f>cbeer: I'm trying to think it through: do we ever want to create an auth'n'd but readonly session? Maybe for description endpoints?14:23
<cbeer>it's conceivable. i'm not sure it's worth complicating our code over though.
<ajs6f>Fair enough. If we can combine the powerful magic of SessionFactory and JAX-RS context injection, maybe we can do it (when we know the places we _want_ to do it) w/o compicating the code.14:24
But maybe that awaits another sunrise.14:25
<cbeer>magic read-only annotations?14:26
<ajs6f>Bob Haschart thinks all annotations are magic. ("They're like comments! But they do things!")
* barmintor agrees with Bob14:27
* barmintor also thinks they're like CPP
#if __AUTOWIRED__14:28
* barmintor vomit
<ajs6f>Declarative programming is powerful mojo.14:29
I'll be sure to let him know.
<bljenkins>Yippie, build fixed!
Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #228: FIXED in 6 min 22 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/228/
* bljenkins leaves
<barmintor>I'm updating the Sonar plugin, just in case14:30
* ajs6f leaves14:33
<pivotal-bot>Chris Beer accepted "Remove readonly sessions where they don't belong." https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/4906018914:37
<cbeer>nbanks: ping?14:38
barmintor: to do the fcr:describe re-org and all that, i guess the describe actions will have to live in the same class as modifyObject/createObject, because they have the same path?14:39
<barmintor>cbeer: yeah
<cbeer>cool. so i should probably just merge them into FedoraObjects and rename that class something meaningful14:40
<barmintor>cbeer: yeah- and the children listing thing will be get broken out into another resource class, I assume14:43
<cbeer>yeah
<barmintor>Wow, what have I done to poor jenkins14:44
* barmintor logs onto gluck
<cbeer>make the alerts stop!!14:47
<barmintor>you're getting alerts?14:48
<cbeer>yeah, we have it rigged up to nagios
i've disabled notification
* ajs6f joins14:49
<barmintor>Hmm. I could've sworn I had sudo on gluck
<cbeer>you should14:50
<barmintor>gluck says not in sudoers file14:51
<cbeer>oh, right. i think we were wondering what to do with you, because you're not just a regular old local account14:52
<barmintor>yeah14:53
Hmm
* barmintor shrugs
<cbeer>so. restart tomcat?
<barmintor>yeah14:54
fortunately, tomcat is known for its graceful shutdown and restart
<cbeer>kill -9 all the way14:55
* bljenkins joins14:56
Project fcrepo4 build #500: UNSTABLE in 15 min: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo4/500/15:19
* bljenkins leaves
* bljenkins joins15:20
<barmintor>i hate you bljenkins15:30
<ajs6f>Is "unstable"== test fials?
fails
* jonathangee leaves15:31
<barmintor>unstable usually means "JMSIT failed"
<ajs6f>I thought you fixed the *(&(*^&(* out of that?15:32
<barmintor>but it may also be a bnch of failures from the cobertura plgin
yeah, I thought I did, too :)
<ajs6f>:)
Anyway, what you did was a heck of a lot better than what I did.
* nbanks leaves15:34
* github-ff joins15:51
[fcrepo4] barmintor pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/yZv9ew
fcrepo4/master 44d6621 Benjamin Armintor: trying another tweak to get cobertura to work via sonar in jenkins
* github-ff leaves
<barmintor>ok, here we go with the part that always fails...16:03
and it fails
ok
cobertura is dead to me
we're not using cobertura
unless we go back to JDK616:04
<ajs6f>How can Cobra Commander make the build fail? Isn't it just reporting on what happens after the build/
?
Just reflecting on buildproducts?
<barmintor>cobertura can't run under JDK7
<ajs6f>Oh, *&(&*(.
forgot that whole thing.
<barmintor>the build is fine, but the intstrumentation is broken
<ajs6f>Right, right.
* gregjansen joins16:06
<bljenkins>Yippie, build fixed!16:09
Project fcrepo4 build #502: FIXED in 18 min: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo4/502/
armintor: trying another tweak to get cobertura to work via sonar in jenkins
* travis-ci joins16:14
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#454 (master - 44d6621 : Benjamin Armintor): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/c574b2691d45...44d6621f08aa
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/6798592
* travis-ci leaves
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo-kitchen-sink build #229: SUCCESS in 5 min 28 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo-kitchen-sink/229/16:16
* ajs6f leaves16:17
* ajs6f joins16:22
Urg. I don't know if any of the rest of you suffer this plague, but UVa has a plethora of a cappella groups.16:23
At this time of year, they roam the campus and stand in front of buildings and give impromptu concerts.16:24
It's kind of awful.
<gregjansen>how dreadful16:27
<ajs6f>Well, you're not here or hearing.
<gregjansen>not sarcasm at all, it sounds like a menace
<ajs6f>Oh, right enough.
* github-ff joins
[fcrepo4] barmintor pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/k9-GyQ
fcrepo4/master 53812bb Benjamin Armintor: adding the emma plugin
* github-ff leaves
<ajs6f>The crowds (small crowds, all considered) make it difficult to leave the Library or get back in.16:28
I just escaped for a pipe, and had to use my elbows a bit to do it.
But I know it's a pretty sorry excuse for a complaint.16:29
Compared to the hell that barmintor is going through.
:)
barmintor: is emma another kind of coverage plugin?16:30
<barmintor>ajs6f: yes
<ajs6f>Right on.
Maybe (I know this means extra work, and I'm up for it) we need to decide what we want to choose in the way of coverage and then select first the algorithm/impl for it?16:31
I.e. What do we mean by "coverage"?16:32
<barmintor>I don't follow you.
<ajs6f>We're switching plugins for coverage, but we're doing it
<barmintor>afaik in Sonar-world, it all means the same thing
"this plugin follows the call stack of your unit tests, and logs all the lines of code that they call"
plus the logical branches16:33
<ajs6f>Okay, so S. has its own defn' of coverage and all of the available plugins fulffill it?
<barmintor>I think it's just that that's what the code coverage plugins do
<ajs6f>Or claim to.
<barmintor>as it were.
in Java 6.16:34
<ajs6f>So it's really about this Java6-7 bs?
<barmintor>yes
<ajs6f>Urg.
<barmintor>and also about Cobertura being basically an abandoned project
<ajs6f>Double-urg.16:35
I'm wondering what kind of plugins are available for Scala… (j/k, j/k!)
<barmintor>last release: 3 march 2010
<ajs6f>Ouch.
It's hurts to be as hip as we are.16:36
<barmintor>but a new committer moved the project to github early this month
<ajs6f>My hero!
<barmintor>so maybe something will happen… someday...
<ajs6f>Cripes….
But people are using 7 now… what are they using?
* barmintor shrugs16:37
<ajs6f>Doesn't anyone love try-with-resource?
<barmintor>you can apparently get cobertura to work if you have maven run ant tasks for you and shit like that
<ajs6f>Oh, jeeeeeeez.
<barmintor>but my patience for messing with the maven build is pretty limited
<ajs6f>Maven -> Ant == missing the point.
<barmintor>https://github.com/cobertura/cobertura/commit/b303fdc94851088a3c8699651770faef3318092416:38
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo4 build #503: UNSTABLE in 12 min: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo4/503/16:40
armintor: adding the emma plugin
<ajs6f>Help us, Emma!
<barmintor>Hmm.16:44
* travis-ci joins16:45
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#455 (master - 53812bb : Benjamin Armintor): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/44d6621f08aa...53812bb090b8
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/6799659
* travis-ci leaves
<ajs6f>THE BUILD PASSED!
<barmintor>Yeah, but it generated no coverage data
<ajs6f>None?16:46
Maybe Emma reports differently?
<barmintor>http://sonar.fcrepo.org/dashboard/index/1
<ajs6f>Okay. Maybe Emma requires config to hook up to report…. ?16:47
{grasping at straws}
* gregjansen leaves16:48
<ajs6f>I'm out for the day. Good luck, all.16:49
* ajs6f leaves
* github-ff joins16:51
[fcrepo4] barmintor pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/P1hu5A
fcrepo4/master b150e8b Benjamin Armintor: adding emma plugin to build
* github-ff leaves
<bljenkins>Project fcrepo4 build #504: FAILURE in 3 min 10 sec: http://ci.projectblacklight.org/jenkins/job/fcrepo4/504/16:54
armintor: adding emma plugin to build
* travis-ci joins16:58
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#456 (master - b150e8b : Benjamin Armintor): The build has errored.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/53812bb090b8...b150e8b816d3
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/6800240
* travis-ci leaves
<barmintor>Good gravy.17:00
* github-ff joins17:41
[fcrepo4] barmintor pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/eAn-9w
fcrepo4/master fb6c8ea Benjamin Armintor: fine, who needs emma. let's try to get jacoco to work.
* github-ff leaves
<barmintor>what a phenomenonally stupid day this has been.17:42
ok, fcrepo4 is broken until tomorrow17:50
sorry.
* travis-ci joins17:59
[travis-ci] futures/fcrepo4#457 (master - fb6c8ea : Benjamin Armintor): The build passed.
[travis-ci] Change view : https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/compare/b150e8b816d3...fb6c8ea0fd3d
[travis-ci] Build details : http://travis-ci.org/futures/fcrepo4/builds/6801444
* travis-ci leaves
* kaarefc leaves19:15
* barmintor leaves19:49